• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Computational Science Background for future MFE

Hey all,

I will be graduating with a BSc. in Computer Science next August.

My Profile is as follows:
GPA: 3.6/4

GRE: 800 Q / 560 V

MATH COURSES: 84/100 AVERAGE in Calculus I, II and III - Linear Algebra - Discrete Mathematics - Numerical Computing - Numerical Linear Algebra - Introduction to Analysis

MINORS: Mathematics - Computational Science.

WORK EXPERIENCE: Summer Internship as Software Developer at a small firm here in Lebanon. Dealt mainly with Database Systems and some Web Development.

LANGUAGES: Arabic (Native tongue), French (fluent, school education language), English (fluent, university education language).

TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY: C, C++, Java, SQL, MATLAB, HTML, MS Office

OTHER: Took macroeconomics course, taking Intro. to Financial Markets next semester as well as Chinese (language)

EXTRA-CURRICULAR: Founding member and VP of "Investment Management Club" at my university - Treasurer of another club - active guide in Student Affairs Office for 2 years

I have future career ambitions of being the the Finance industry through some Masters degree in Computational Finance with primary focus on HPC (High-Performance Computing) and algorithms in modeling and solving the mathematical problems arising in Finance.

However, since I've been doing a 3-year Bachelor's program in my country Lebanon, I find myself weak enough to apply to MFE or MSCF programs since I still lack:
1- Background in Finance
2- Mathematical Finance
3- HPC and advanced algorithms knowledge

I also like maths and computing a lot. This is why I am currently applying to Masters programs in COMPUTATIONAL SCIENCE such as McGill's and more importantly EPFL (Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne), where I intend to follow the internship/project/research/thesis track in "Modeling & Numerical Algorithms".
I will try to orient all of the 4 parts of the program towards Finance as much as possible.

Does my plan sound reasonable in relation to my above profile?

Is an MSc. in Computational Science and Engineering from a reputable university in Europe count as a powerful asset in applying to top MFE programs such as Carnegie's?

Or should I apply to MFE programs instead? and how about the financing problem there?

I am really looking for answers to these questions so I can make up my mind more freely.

Thanks in advance!

Hi IM,
I think you underestimate the importance of studying in a big financial center. If you want to do niche sophisticated things like algo-trading/high freq and do not plan on doing a PhD, you'll greatly benefit from doing your masters degree in NYC or London. You have a good background and if you nail the GRE the best programs are within your reach no need to do a MSc first. Plus a lot of jobs you aim for require a PhD which would take just a bit longer than doing 2 masters in series.

As for McGill, its an great school but Montreal is far from being a quant finance hub. If you want a good program at canadian prices look into utoronto's masters of mathematical finance (http://www.mmf.utoronto.ca/).

best luck

Hi IM,
I think you underestimate the importance of studying in a big financial center. If you want to do niche sophisticated things like algo-trading/high freq and do not plan on doing a PhD, you'll greatly benefit from doing your masters degree in NYC or London. You have a good background and if you nail the GRE the best programs are within your reach no need to do a MSc first. Plus a lot of jobs you aim for require a PhD which would take just a bit longer than doing 2 masters in series.

As for McGill, its an great school but Montreal is far from being a quant finance hub. If you want a good program at canadian prices look into utoronto's masters of mathematical finance (http://www.mmf.utoronto.ca/).

best luck

Hey thanks!

My GRE scores are as follow: QUANTITATIVE 166/170 (94th percentile or 800/800 in old GRE) and VERBAL 157/170 (78th percentile or 560/800 in old GRE).

Problem is it seems to me that many MFE programs lack the strong computational element that I'm looking for.

Also most MFE programs are self-financed which makes it even harder for me to apply!

However your reply was very helpful and ill surely apply to some MFE programs with financial assistance if I find any.

i think you shouldn't be very strict on what you think ... You have vision and are doing your best and that's enough.
Just listen to your heart (this means that you should do what you like no matter where you are) and also consider facts e.g. your financial situation; and be ready for changes in your way e.g. you may feel that you like to go deeper and do a phd or ... .

this is not the best comment but: you can do MSc in Finance (MFE track) at HEC luasanne. they provide full support for the best applicants. best students in the first year will have the opportunity to do the 3rd semester at CMU or UCLA. you can do an internship at zurich or ... in your 4rd semester. perhaps they will let you take other courses at epfl in math or engineering or s.computing...
good luck

Back