• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Considering pursuing financial engineering.

This is another "what are my chances" post for you guys. I'm interested in pursuing a masters in financial engineering, however I may not fit the typical profile for a candidate. I have a B.B.A in Finance with mathematics minor. Cumulative gpa of 3.57 with mathematics gpa at 3.29 I've taken many advanced math courses for my minor such as Single and Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra. I have minimum programming experience with the exception of two programming courses taken. My finance education is solid having taken courses in Derivatives, Investments, and Corp Finance. My issue is I graduated undergrad at age 28 due to beginning college at age 23. Im now 30 and working as Data Expeditor for a company in Philadelphia. I plan to take both the GRE and the GRE Math subject test and I'm confident I'd do well. What are my chances of getting accepted into decent program considering my age, gpa, when I graduated, and very little work experience? It appears graduate students in their 30's that get accepted into the top programs already possess an MBA or Phd. I know Im behind the curve and don't want to waste time pursuing something unrealistic. I will pursue graduate education just unsure about which area to study.

Thanks guys, your input or advice would be appreciated.

There is no such thing as "the typical profile for a candidate". Your background looks fine to apply to any top program. I don't think you need to take GRE Math subject test.

The better career path for you would be to get a job in one of the financial companies because you already have degree in Finance. Then you will start from there and see if you need to do MFE. If answer is "yes" you can do it part time and your employer will pay tuition.

Good luck!

Take and do well in the GRE Q section (800 going rate)
Take math refresher course like the one offered by Baruch MFE program
Get math prep books like Stefanica's Primer.
Brush off your programming skills by...well...coding something relevant like bond/option pricers.
And who cares what background others have. Just hit the apply button.

Back