• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Controversial Religion thread

That is a delicate question!
Do you mean the creationism of a Creater God or more creationism as intelligent design?

Because the first one is to refuse by logical reflection and proof by contradiction.
By contrast the second one, intelligent design in a specific matter, seems to be acceptable to me. The reason for that has something to do with quantum physics and some laws of probability.

Either one.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 15 characters.

Let's label the statement you made below as follows:

S: Some things just can't be proven or reasoned because of our conceptual limitations.

Can you prove statement S?

Is statement S one of those that can't be proven?

Let's assume that you say the following statement, as labeled:

T: Statement S can't be proven.

Now, can you prove T?

Just curious.

To exempt certain positions from the need for intellectual soundness and responsibility, people quite often make a sweeping statement SS like S, without justifying why SS itself should be accepted as valid.

Religion isn't mathematics (although I may be wrong on that one). I know what point you are making but some things just can't be proven or reasoned because of our conceptual limitations, but yet people try. Perhaps you've been talking to people who haven't given much thought to their beliefs and can't use logical arguments to defend them because they have been so busy studying numerical analysis and stochastic calculus. You are spot on about this topic not being FE related at all, but then again, belief and financial modeling might be more related than I thought.

Back