• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cornell FE Cornell FE Placement

Hey guys, I wonder if anyone has the placement information about cornell FE, 2010-2011 or even previous would be very helpful.

I don't see they post any on their website.

Thank you! :)

Most recent data I could find:
2008:
  • Expected graduation date is December 2008
  • Fact: 100% Placement for Summer 2008
  • Fact: 39 students with 48 summer internship offers
2010:

http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/...r.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=102647

The rest of the years (scroll down to OR&IE: Financial Engineering):
http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/...ices/students/statistics/postgrad_reports.cfm

These have horrible response rates. This is through the engineering career services; however, I understand that a lot FE students arrange their internships through CFEM & Victoria Averbukh. So, I'm not sure how much insight these stats really provide.

Also, here is some information from the general employment report:

Companies that hired the most Cornell graduates in 2011 (in no particular order):
Barclays Capital
Goldman Sachs
Citigroup
Google
Deloitte Consulting
JPMorgan Chase
Ernst & Young
Morgan Stanley
General Electric
Teach for America

Seriously, in 2010, Cornell has only 10/37 responses . The stat looks very weird for a big name.

I think the weak response may have something to do with the fact that that survey is done through engineering career services and, as previously mentioned, I think a lot of Cornell FE students get their jobs/internships through other channels.

Most recent data I could find:
2008:
  • Expected graduation date is December 2008
  • Fact: 100% Placement for Summer 2008
  • Fact: 39 students with 48 summer internship offers
2010:

http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/...r.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=102647

The rest of the years (scroll down to OR&IE: Financial Engineering):
http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/...ices/students/statistics/postgrad_reports.cfm

These have horrible response rates. This is through the engineering career services; however, I understand that a lot FE students arrange their internships through CFEM & Victoria Averbukh. So, I'm not sure how much insight these stats really provide.

Also, here is some information from the general employment report:

Companies that hired the most Cornell graduates in 2011 (in no particular order):
Barclays Capital
Goldman Sachs
Citigroup
Google
Deloitte Consulting
JPMorgan Chase
Ernst & Young
Morgan Stanley
General Electric
Teach for America

Thank you very much!
The response rate of 2010 is so low which is only 27%. Do you happen to know when they will post the 2011 statistics?
Or if there is anyways to find out the placement information from CFEM?
:)

well imo, < 50% of response ratio is a little bit too low, maybe they are trying to tell the truth rather than fabricating something else.
how often do you respond to a survey you received in the mail?

I hardly ever response to a survey. If other universities can, Y Cornell cant?
If you hardly respond, why should the students of Cornell respond? that will answer the question.

the university might need to change its approach to get this information. The fact that so few students responded says a more about the student community in that program than about the university. The school tried to get the information but its former students failed to respond. There could be a variety of reasons why ("I don't have time", "Don't bother me", "School X blows chunks", "I forgot", etc). However, the university shouldn't get a free pass either. They should do a better job on finding out that information.

I think the weak response may have something to do with the fact that that survey is done through engineering career services and, as previously mentioned, I think a lot of Cornell FE students get their jobs/internships through other channels.
You are right on the money. alain is also correct in his assumptions.

Back