• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Cornell FE vs Columbia MFE

Columbia MFE (no experience) or Cornell FE (two summers of work experience)

• Columbia

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Cornell

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

DMD

Hypothetically:

Option 1:
-Begin Columbia MFE in July with no financial services experience.
-Start working on Wall St. full-time after spring semester of next year.

Option 2:
-Summer internship in trading in Toronto at non-BB firm..
-Cornell FE program in Ithica, September-April.
-Summer internship at (hopefully) BB firm in NYC.
-Final semester of Cornell FE program in NYC.
-In January 2014, Start full-time with firm on Wall St.

What do you think is the better choice? Columbia is the stronger program, but is it worth going to Cornell because I will get two internship opportunities before starting full time.

Yeah, I could potentially face the same decision too. Some advice would be appreciated!

Without advising you which school is better, a general suggestion I would give is to get some real world work experience under your belt before joining a graduate program. That would make you a more desirable candidate for schools or future employers. At the minimum, you can have a full grasp of what you want to learn to be able to select from the selective courses.

Without advising you which school is better, a general suggestion I would give is to get some real world work experience under your belt before joining a graduate program. That would make you a more desirable candidate for schools or future employers. At the minimum, you can have a full grasp of what you want to learn to be able to select from the selective courses.

Andy, I would love to hear your opinion on which school is better since I will probably face the same situation but won't get good amount of work experience before that.

I just had a very positive interview today for summer employment, which makes me lean towards the Cornell option. Although, I would appreciate some feedback from the community. How big of a difference in program reputation is there between Columbia and Cornell? To my understanding all the top BB firms recruit at both schools.

How important is career service to you? Can you find a job through your own effort with the degree from either program?
Here is an interview we did with Mr. Derman of Columbia MFE. (They hired a career service person for the IEOR dept recently. I haven't talked to this person yet).

Banks traditionally don’t have a formal recruiting channel for MFE students as they do MBA or undergrads. How should this be addressed?
You put your finger on a really big problem for MSFE students. MBAs and undergrads have both organizational recruiting aimed at them land schools working at placing them. Masters students don’t. My dept tackles this with its own resources, but they are obviously inferior to those of a big business school. We hope that banks will get smarter at recruiting FEs by going directly to the sources, and we hope we will get more support for running our own placement.

having interned in the industry i'd have to say 2 official internships, if you can manage to get them, is incredibly helpful. A degree at the end of the day is just a degree.

That said, at Columbia you could also do part-time internships, since it's in NYC. That also gives you a lot more opportunities to network, if that's a strong suit. If interning while you're at Columbia is an option, I think it's hard to say. If not, then I'd go with Cornell. Reputation wise, at least from what my friends in the industry tell me, Cornell is at least on par with Columbia, if not better.

Knowing many people from both Cornell/Columbia MFE programs, I have to say that the calibres of students from the Columbia MFE program have been higher (based on my observations of course, so take it with a grain of salt).

However, I agree with Andy - having real-world experience will set you apart from many candidates. Why can't you do the summer internship and being Columbia's MFE program in September? Do you HAVE to start the Columbia program at July?

Knowing many people from both Cornell/Columbia MFE programs, I have to say that the calibres of students from the Columbia MFE program have been higher (based on my observations of course, so take it with a grain of salt).

However, I agree with Andy - having real-world experience will set you apart from many candidates. Why can't you do the summer internship and being Columbia's MFE program in September? Do you HAVE to start the Columbia program at July?
yes, have to, but can do internship after 1 year i guess, if u extend the program to 1.5 year, which is possible now

It really depends on what you want to do. A PhD can enter the industry without any precious work experience.

A good trader is born to be a good trader. A bad trader is born to be a bad trader. It really doesn't matter how much experience he/she has...

yes, have to, but can do internship after 1 year i guess, if u extend the program to 1.5 year, which is possible now
in that case i would advise to go to Cornell. no amount of education will replace work experience.

Back