• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Cornell Financial Engineering VS Yale Asset Management

Cornell Financial Engineering VS Yale Asset Management

• Cornell FE

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Yale AM

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters
Hi everyone, I've received admits from these 2 programs. Ideally I plan to do quantitative research in an asset management company after graduation and strive to be a portfolio manager in the long run. But other kinds of work in this field (such as IB) are also acceptable to me.

From my understanding, both 2 programs seem able to provide useful resourses and training that support my career goal. Since Yale AM is a brand-new program, I do have some concerns about how it will be and no statistics can be provided for reference currently. However, uncertainty cannot be the convincing reason for me to give up Yale!

So I would like to seek your advice on which program would be more worth taking. Any vote or comment will be a big help for me! Thanks in advance 🙂 .

Congratulations - looking at the Yale program briefly, it's tough to say. This sounds really good - a lot of econometrics, quantitative investing. The challenge is those courses can be very easy or very hard. It's not clear what level of resolution they are targeting with the program.

Boston University had a "Masters in Investment Management" that was basically a glorified version of CFA Level I, for 30k. This doesn't seem to far off from that, but Yale has a legacy from Stephen Ross (a legend) and Goetzmann who is really good. Can you get sample syllabi or curriculum details?

Cornell seems like a great program, but the department is kind of a mess. NYC seems in the game, but Ithaca campus doesn't seem to really put a lot of effort out. I couldn't even get the Ithaca campus to respond when I tried to visit there after being accepted. Really solid program in any case. . .

Last edited:
Congratulations - looking at the Yale program briefly, it's tough to say. This sounds really good - a lot of econometrics, quantitative investing. The challenge is those courses can be very easy or very hard. It's not clear what level of resolution they are targeting with the program.

Boston University had a "Masters in Investment Management" that was basically a glorified version of CFA Level I, for 30k. This doesn't seem to far off from that, but Yale has a legacy from Stephen Ross, Goetzmann, et al who were giants. Can you get sample syllabi or curriculum details?

Cornell seems like a great program, but the department is kind of a mess. NYC seems in the game, but Ithaca campus doesn't seem to really put a lot of effort out. I couldn't even get the Ithaca campus to respond when I tried to visit there after being accepted. Really solid program in any case. . .
Thank you so much for the response! No idea about curriculum details yet, but I will try to know more and post useful information here if possible.

If you're planning on doing quant research (even if it's at a AM fund), going to cornell and having access to the excellent ML/CS courses will help you a lot more in the long term than whatever AM-specific coursework you might have in the yale program.

I think Cornell is miles better than Yale for anyone who is looking to do modern quant research; You're getting access to NYC + the brand name difference isn't really that big (in finance anyways) + you'll leave cornell with a more marketable skillset IMO

I also went to Cornell for my bachelors, so I’m biased. But if you have any questions about the school beyond your program in particular I’d be happy to help

If you're planning on doing quant research (even if it's at a AM fund), going to cornell and having access to the excellent ML/CS courses will help you a lot more in the long term than whatever AM-specific coursework you might have in the yale program.

I think Cornell is miles better than Yale for anyone who is looking to do modern quant research; You're getting access to NYC + the brand name difference isn't really that big (in finance anyways) + you'll leave cornell with a more marketable skillset IMO
Really helpful! Thank you 🙂

Back