• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cornell MFE vs. ESSEC MiF for S&T

Hi everyone,

I am currently a master's degree student in applied maths and energy engineering and I would like to work in sales and trading (ideally within a commodities desk as a trader). I got admitted to Cornell University's MEng in Financial Engineering in Ithaca, New York, and to ESSEC Business School's Master in Finance in Paris, France. I really hesitate between both programs since Cornell's program is way more quantitative compared to ESSEC's but I don't know if it really makes a difference to get an internship and then a job in sales and trading within a bulge-bracket bank. I know that Cornell will open the doors to New York-based jobs whereas ESSEC is known in London but not at all in New York. I don't mind working in London or New York and I am currently living in Paris, France.

Cornell is probably the better choice but another factor is the tuition fees are 5x those of ESSEC.

Also, does the MEng in Financial Engineering of Cornell benefit from a strong reputation in trading desks in NY and is considered as target? From what I understood, in the US, summer interns are usually undergrads.

Could you please give me some advice?

Thank you very much!

I personally like Cornell. However, it sounds like you don't mind the career outputs of either program. So if work prospects are the same and future incomes are the same, then go for the cheaper one.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am currently a master's degree student in applied maths and energy engineering and I would like to work in sales and trading (ideally within a commodities desk as a trader). I got admitted to Cornell University's MEng in Financial Engineering in Ithaca, New York, and to ESSEC Business School's Master in Finance in Paris, France. I really hesitate between both programs since Cornell's program is way more quantitative compared to ESSEC's but I don't know if it really makes a difference to get an internship and then a job in sales and trading within a bulge-bracket bank. I know that Cornell will open the doors to New York-based jobs whereas ESSEC is known in London but not at all in New York. I don't mind working in London or New York and I am currently living in Paris, France.

Cornell is probably the better choice but another factor is the tuition fees are 5x those of ESSEC.

Also, does the MEng in Financial Engineering of Cornell benefit from a strong reputation in trading desks in NY and is considered as target? From what I understood, in the US, summer interns are usually undergrads.

Could you please give me some advice?

Thank you very much!
With a math background with applications in energy engineering and a MIF from ESSEC you will be in a very good position to become a trader in Europe and in the UK. If you are interested in quantitative finance career paths (quant research, stat arb strategies in commodities etc.) Cornell's program would be a better pick.
Since traditional finance based masters can get you what you want, I would say go for ESSEC (it will help you build what you need to become a Trader), it's a good school. However, if you are interested in quant finance, there cannot be a comparison between Cornell and ESSEC, given that you'll be studying in NYC and at an amazing program. For more information regarding the types of career the graduates have, use LinkedIn and contact the alumni, and also contact career services of Cornell and ESSEC.

Last edited:
Back