• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Cornell vs Chicago vs NYU

Which school should I pick?

• Cornell MFE

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Chicago Math Finance

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • NYU Math Finance (pending)

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • BU Math Finance

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Rutgers Math Finance

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Just to see the result......

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
Hello all,

I have received four admissions so far, I am in need of some advice in picking my graduate school. Here is my background:
Major: CS + Math double
I have no internship related to finance field, however, I do have couple of paper in CS.

My views on the schools are:
Cornell MFE:
POSITIVE-I heard its placement is good. Program is 3 semester long including one semester at NYC. I think 3 semester helps students like me to find a intern or full-time position since I had no work experience in the related field. It has high reputation in Asia. (I'd like to be working in HK sometime in my career, although stay in US is also not a bad idea)
NEGATIVE-Tuition is pretty high. Getting through the program would cost about $90-$100K. I did not get any merit base scholarships. I wondering if any of you know about their need-base scholarships. How does it work???

Chicago Math finance:
POSITIVE- Good reputation since their business school is great. located right in Chicago. a little lower in tuition since the length is shorter.
NEGATIVE- Have heard it is not doing as good as they were before. Plus director change and stuff. Don't know about their placement situation, do they have a career service department? Short length meaning harding to find a intern/job?

NYU Math finance:
POSITIVE- really good reputation in Wall street? Great location in NYC. Professors are practitioners. easier find a job in the US.
NEGATIVE- However, I do not have their admission yet. my status is still pending and they say the decision will be out in "the next few weeks". I don't want to miss other deadlines from other schools.

I also got in to BU and Rutgers Math Finance. BU offers a about 25% percent tuition scholarship. But I don't think these two programs are in the same tier as the three I mentioned above.

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can give me any advice on picking the best school. I'd like to hear your opinions.

By the way, I've heard Ivy schools offer need-base scholarships, I know that is true for the Undergraduates. How about master programs? Anybody know this? And do you guys know anything about government loan? I definitely need to find some funding for my school.

Thank you very much!

I believe there will be a lot of people voting on NYU, including me :)

I believe there will be a lot of people voting on NYU, including me :)

I like NYU, but the problem as I stated: I don't have admission yet. I am afraid of losing the opportunity of going to other programs if I wait on NYU's decision. I really hope they can ask by 4/15.

I would definitely do the Trackers, but I was not aware of this community at the time of applying.
I forgot the submitted dates, should I still use it?
Yes, use your best estimate. You can check your email and see if you get any auto responses with date from Embark system when you applied to those.

What is your goal in terms of jobs? I don't think Cornell will help you get a quant related job. As far as I understand, Cornell places most of its students in S&T. Is this your goal?
If your goal is to get a quant related job, I think NYU will do a much better job.
I know there is this option with NYU that you can email them and they will speed up the process. Check out the website.

NYU

if you don't get in go to Cornell

my opinion.

yep..NYU has no cons. period!

NYU is a great program but there is one glaring con. Its curriculum is theoretical and its placements are mostly in trader/risk manager roles. If you want to be a true quant then it's not the best option overall (although definitely better than the other mentioned programs).

NYU is a great program but there is one glaring con. Its curriculum is theoretical and its placements are mostly in trader/risk manager roles. If you want to be a true quant then it's not the best option overall (although definitely better than the other mentioned programs).
This is new to me... I always thought NYU was the best for quant positions.

What would be the best option according to you (Ph.D. out of competition)? And of course, could you argue :rolleyes:

Guys, seems like NYU is dominating in the poll. However, I still don't have result from NYU.

Apart from NYU, can you guys compare Cornell MFE and Chicago MSMF for me plz?

I wouldn't recommend Chicago MSFM for the reason it's going through so much turmoil and changes recently. Granted, those changes are much needed and desired by the students. That said, there is so much uncertainty about how much committed the school is to improve its career service (#1 complaint).
We shall see in 3, 4 more years but not now.

Back