• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Course selection help (and advice)

I am entering my second semester of my sophomore year as an undergraduate and it's crunch time. I'm planning to fit 8 or 9 math courses over 4 semesters (not including summer/winter semesters). This is to hopefully prepare me for a MFE/Mfin program.

Right now:
Intermediate Calculus (Calc 3)
Linear Algebra
Algorithms, Computers and Programming I
Ordinary Differential Equations 3 credits
Introduction to Probability 4 credits
Stochastic Process 3 credits
Methods of Monte Carlo Simulation 3 credits
Introduction to Financial Mathematics 4 credits

For course #9 I am thinking either Fundamental Algorithms or Methods of Numerical Analysis. A Mathematical Modeling course may even be avaliable. I have no idea which to take to be better off.

Additionally, I would like to know which CIS/Comp Sci courses I should look into. It is worth noting several of those math courses above contain computer science elements. I'm thinking:

Introduction to Information Systems and Technologies
Object-Oriented Programming I
Object Oriented Programming II
Systems Analysis and Design
Database Management Systems I/II (is this even necessary?)
Financial Information Technologies (maybe?)

Furthermore, I am wondering whether financial econometrics should be bundled in somewhere in all of this. Also, will accounting courses be useful? Or is it a complete waste of time?

Back