• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Coursera to strengthen my application

Hi all.
I'm planning to apply for MFE programs this winter.
I'm a Econ major, so I did take some math courses, but not all courses like Math or Stat students.
Would Coursera certification help me to show that I have some mathematical backgrounds besides the courses that I've taken in school?

Thanks

Hi all.
I'm planning to apply for MFE programs this winter.
I'm a Econ major, so I did take some math courses, but not all courses like Math or Stat students.
Would Coursera certification help me to show that I have some mathematical backgrounds besides the courses that I've taken in school?

Thanks
as far as I know schools don't sub Coursera math classes for those you take in college

Here's what CMU's website says regarding MFE preparation -

"Fill in any gaps in your academic background by taking any pre-requisite courses you are missing in advance of applying. Be sure to take any courses for a grade at an accredited college or university – open courseware coursework is not recommended!"

If you can't go back to school, you should consider pre-MFE programs as an option. Baruch has a great set of courses covering linear algebra, probability and calculus. Even UCB has pre-MFE courses you can enroll in. It's definitely pricey and personally, I couldn't afford it so I did some courses on Coursera too. But this was only for my understanding, it probably isn't a significant boost in your application and adds no value in the eyes of the admissions committee.

If you can afford it , enroll in any pre-MFE class, that would be the best option.
I hope this answers your other question as well.

Coursera Certifications won't help you strengthen the coursework part of your application but you can reference that in your SOP or add it as 'Supplemental Material' in the application. I think it will show your intent towards pursuing MFE. Few schools have a section where you can add MOOC certifications.
Either ways, if you have time you should go ahead with the courses.
PS: I had added the MOOCS I had done in some my applications.

One of the best certifications is the Certificate in Quantitative Finance by Paul Willmot. It covers all the topics and the curriculum is almost similar to a mini MFE.

Back