• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CS student got an interview, no idea what they expect of me

I got an interview with a small firm as a "Junior Quantitative Analyst".
The job description mentioned "supporting senior members with their work and working on database management for client data".

I'm a CS student that has about zero experience with finance I have no idea what they expect of me.

Do they expect me to know a large amount of math? I've done calc 1, probability and statistics, linear algebra and numerical analysis and doing calc II (I'm doing a rough estimate of US courses coming from EU). this coming semester.

What kind of questions can I expect to be able to answer? I've got experience doing normal CS and programming interviews but will this be different?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

They will probably ask you brainteasers, as well as algorithm/programming questions. You may be asked specific questions but you can tell them if it is not a subject you've studied or are familiar with.

They will probably ask you brainteasers, as well as algorithm/programming questions. You may be asked specific questions but you can tell them if it is not a subject you've studied or are familiar with.

Thank you for the help and information.

As they mentioned databases in the job description. Do you think it would be a good idea to show them some of my work from one of the courses in databases?
Do they usually use an SQL language or have quant firms moved to a more noSQL drive database model like mongoDB or the likes?

Back