• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

data type conversion

:prayer: Does anyone have any idea how to prevent a list of CUSIP converted automatically into scentific format?
Say, I have a list of 9-digit CUSIP in the form of 123456ab7, after input into Access database as key and pulled out other market information, the CUSIPs are converted into scentific format....:cry::cry:
What should I do to prevent it?

You need to import them as strings. I think the system assumes that you are trying to insert a number.

You need to import them as strings. I think the system assumes that you are trying to insert a number.

Thank you so much, Alain. Actually, the input comes from Bloomgerg as .log file, then the local drive open it as .xls file. The conversion happens in the Excel files. Also after the process in Access, SOME of the CUSIPs converted.

In this case, can I save the CUSIP as text first, if this step is done manually ?:tiphat:

You can open the text file with Excel, so that you get the "Text Import Wizard" that lets you specify how the columns are set up, whether fixed width or delimited by some character.

Then on the 3rd screen of the wizard, after your columns are divided, you can specify a data type for each column, use 'Text' for Cusips.

Hope that helps.

Back