• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Developer vs Quant Researcher

Hi,

I am currently a graduate student in Econometrics/Statistics. I do not have any first hand knowledge about quant jobs. I am reading some books. From the book, it seems like that most of the roles available are kind of a software developer roles. Desk quant are very rare. Is it true? I am ok with programming, but it is not something I want my primary focus to be. Can someone tell me what are the roles, if any, that are available for someone like me?

With that background, I would look at quant research roles on the sell-side or portfolio management roles on the buy-side.

Desk quants are not for people with your background. You will have better luck on the buy-side, such as hedge funds, asset management firms, etc.

every quant role involves heavy programming, some more than the other. If you're just econometrics/stat guy and don't like programming, sticking to Academia will give you a better career. Maybe some macrofunds could be interested in your background.

Back