• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Difference between MFE, MQF and MMF?

Hello everyone, I am sorry if this is question which has been asked before but I couldn't get a satisfactory response. from Google. If some one could just use a sentence or two to differentiate the majority of what these courses offer. It would really help me decide for next year.. things like this has more subjects related to computers and this is better in finance because its typically taught in a business school.

As of now my understanding is that MFE is more computer programming intensive and leads to developer jobs. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'll try to answer your question in another way.

Education provides means to your desired career. Once you decide your career path, you will have an idea of what skillsets are needed. Then by looking at which program has modules that train you in those skills, you can make an informed decision about their merits.

As you can see, the definition of these abbreviations becomes less relevant.

-kb

fewkb - Thanks a lot, I'll try to find a career counselor first. If anyone can help me here then please provide your input-

As of now I am in my final year of college studying Industrial and Production engineering, I initially wanted to peruse physics but circumstances forced me into engineering, after trying to rediscover myself I stumbled upon John C Hull and really liked the subject, my final year in college has been all about creating stock simulation models in MATLAB playing around with EXCEL and data from Bloomberg and the maths seems really comfortable as the college curriculum more than makes up for it.

The Problem is that I have had only an introductory course in C++ where we used Turbo C++ 3.0 and even though I scored the maximum in class, we only used it for numerical analysis, since then all I have done on C++ and C# are simple programs which build binomial models and price options using BSM model, given a list of stock prices in a txt file.

So right now I would want to get involved with as much maths as possible but requiring the least amount of coding expertise. I am not sure really what my career path should be, what should I be looking for in terms of my education?

So right now I would want to get involved with as much maths as possible but requiring the least amount of coding expertise.

If what you describe about your background is true, you should be looking for just the opposite: more programming, less math. Better still: more programming, more math. But certainly not less programming, more math.

Back