Difference between quant concentrations

Good afternoon everybody,

My name is Enrique, I'm currently pursuing a BS in Economics at the University of Maryland - College Park. I'm currently the head of an Economics organization at my University trying to get info on how to help Econ majors enter the quant field. I hope if it's alright if I ask you guys a few questions. I will cite you all as my source when giving out the information

One thing I noticed in masters of science programs in financial engineering, computational finance, etc. Is that there are different concentrations to pursue. For example, in Columbia University's financial engineering program ( MS in Financial Engineering | Department of Industrial Engineering & Operations Research ) the concentrations are finance and economics, derivatives, Asset Management, Computation and Programming, and computational finance/trading systems.

However, I don't know the difference between these concentrations. Like what they do, differences in salary, difficulty, job security and availability, etc. Could you all please explain to me the difference between these concentrations and other concentrations which may exist in the quant field. Thank you all very much for your time and expertise. -Enrique

Back