• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Different Quant Finance Careers question

Hello all, I am currently a junior mathematics and finance double major interested in quantitative finance, however I am not sure as to the specific type of career I want. I am very attracted to mathematics and for that reason would love a career in a quantitative field working on topics dealing with advanced mathematics. I no doubt want to go into finance but given there are so many types of quant careers, I am confused as to what a quant does. I have done some research but descriptions seem vague. Most careers I come across are: Quantitative trader and Quantitative analyst, Financial Engineering. Some of my questions are:

1.) What does it mean to be a 'quant trader'. I never knew advanced math was necessary, isn't trading just reading charts? What sort of advanced math would a trader employ?

2.) What is financial engineering really? What does it mean to be a financial engineer? What are some mathematical problems faced by these professionals?

3.) Hedge Funds really interest me the most, what sort of careers are available at hedge funds and what type of advanced math do these professionals employ on a day to day basis?

Back