• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Differential equations

Okay so I am in the process of taking differential equations right now, however since i haven't taken calc 2 in about 2 years ive forgotten a lot of the integration techniques. My prof gave me a list of integration exercises that I need to brush up on as preparation for the course and it's actually giving me quite a bit of trouble anyone know of any good online resources that could help me brush up on my integration skills.

Okay so I am in the process of taking differential equations right now, however since i haven't taken calc 2 in about 2 years ive forgotten a lot of the integration techniques. My prof gave me a list of integration exercises that I need to brush up on as preparation for the course and it's actually giving me quite a bit of trouble anyone know of any good online resources that could help me brush up on my integration skills.

http://www.khanacademy.org/math/calculus

thanks this should hopefully help me out a bit i like how organized the site is

personally, I like wolframalpha.com better. you can enter just about any equation or problem into their search bar and not only will it compute the answer for you, but it will show you the steps to solve the specific equation/problem. this will come in very handy when you start solving equations like more complex differential equations.

little word of caution, don't rely too heavily on the website for doing your homework, as you will end up not learning much and will fail your exams. but merely use the website for helping you when you get stuck on something.

if you want to integrals, then enter something like:

int sin(x) dx

this will calculate the integral of sin(x) using the wolframalpha website. Although I wouldn't worry so much about integrals as I would being able to calculate differentials! Do you have time before class starts? If so, I would brush up on your linear algebra.

If you don't have one already, I would highly recommend getting a TI-89 Titanium calculator for class (well, for any advanced math course). Any scientific calc will do, but I'm a little partial to the TI-89 Titanium. It will save your life at times with class.

One other thing to check out, is Arthur Mattuck's MIT lecture series for differential equations. they are a part of MIT's opencourseware program. All of the video's are on youtube. just google search him. He is very good at breaking down things from Diff Eq.

ahm no i do not have a lot of time before the class im already 2 weeks in ( summer school) taking 2 other finance courses as well. Thanks for the suggestion I will try it out and our prof didn't recommend to get a scientific calculator for the course. So far the course hasn't been to bad, as far as linear algebra skills go ive just finished a full year course in linear algebra this past winter semester so i do not think that should be to much of an issue. However as i said in my first post its been quite a long time since i took calculus so thats why im asking for the integral help.

gotcha. sorry, I forgot how much integration is used beginning of course when doing pop growth models and mixing problems. even if your professor didn't recommend getting a calc, I would still get one. if you have that much linear algebra, you will breeze through the middle of the course when you start solving systems of diff. eq's. wish you best of luck with your class

Back