• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do I have a chance at a top MFE program?

Do I have a chance?

• Total voters
I'm looking to get opinions on whether or not I have a chance at being admitted to a top rated MFE program. Below is a brief description of my credentials.

Education:
-BSBA Finance & Real Estate (double major) at a state school. GPA - 3.3
Coursework in Financial Models, Financial Derivatives, Portfolio Analysis, Monte Carlo Sim., Econometrics, Investment Analysis, Calc., many stats classes, etc.
-MBA at the same state school (currently 1 year completed of 2 year program) GPA - 3.7
Work:
-Economic Development Intern (built a database to monitor commercial trends within my city, 2 semesters)
-Data Management Intern (essentially a data analyst, learning VBA and SQL, 1 semester)
-Economic Modeler full-time Co-op (designing financial models embedded with thermodynamic algorithms to calculate IRR, NPV, payback period, etc.)

Does this background seem appropriate for a top MFE program (assuming GRE quant > 780)?
Feedback appreciated!

Your profile is light on the math/programming side. If you want to have a realistic shot, address these issues.
GRE Q is a convenient filter for schools and should not be a problem for you to score at the top percentile. (>167 on the new test). Even if you score perfect on the quantitative part, keep in mind more than 50% of your competitors have the same perfect score.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to beef up my programming background? I program/debug VBA macros occasionally at work, but never C++ or matlab (the most common I see on this site).

Should I take the C++ course offered by Quantnet? (Will that really help gain admission to a top program?)
Or, should I try to take some undergrad CS courses on OOP/C++ if they're offered? (What coursework would be best to help improve my probability of admission?)

hi I have been admitted to Columbia MSFE, and want get a headstart by covering as much of programming portion beforehand as possible. Can you suggest some c++ books that i should study, I have basic OOP knowledge but want to take a deep dive into the applications of c++ in fin, currently i am reading c++ designs and derivative pricing by Mark S Joshi. thanks in advance

Back