• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do I have a chance to get in top MFE program with a low undergrad GPA?

Hi guys,

This is my first time to post here. I am considering applying to MFE program recently.
But i have some concerns about if I can get in a top one due to my low undergrad GPA.

Below is my background:
Based in US. 25 yr old Female. Passed CFA level II

Undergrad:
Double majored in - CS and Math. GPA: 3.2 (round up)
A state university - The school's CS and Math rankings are top 15 in US

Graduate school:
Top 10 in US - CS. GPA:4.0
Doing research on machine learning stuffs

Work experience:
Before graduate school, I worked 2 years as a software engineer/technology analyst in a rotational program
in a bulge bucket investment bank(the name that most of the people will know) in NY.

GRE:
I think I can get a pretty good score in GRE although i havent took it yet.

Should I even bother considering applying to any top MFE program(CMU/Princeton/NYU/MIT) at all?
I have a low GPA from undergrad.
I think that if I can't get in any top programs then I will not apply for MFE.

I don't want to waste my time to apply and overestimate myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
Well, I am kind of in the same boat as you. I am planning to apply for MFE programs (mainly Baruch/NYU/Columbia). I have terrible undergrad GPA (Econ), but pretty good grad GPA (General Finance). I don't have much work experience. But I think my math is pretty good, so the plan is to meet all the basic requirements and do well enough in interviews to get myself in. It's a long shot, but if I do finish an MFE program, it'll be a huge boost for me career-wise. So I think it's worth taking the risk and going for it.

Not much of an advice, but you are definitely not alone with your situation.

Anyone have similar experience? Where did you end up getting into? And do you think i have some chances to get in those top programs? Any help will be appreciated!

I took the GRE and did really well(Got a 333). I spent all 4 years undergrad workign 35-40 hours a week to pay for my education with a very similar background as yours at a 3.16. I am currently doing the Quantnet C++ course(Currently unemployed due to this economy and covid-19).

I am sorry to hear that... If you have compsci skill i think it is still easy to find a job these days?
Where are you thinking about applying to for MFE?

I had a BS in applied maths with 3.4 GPA (if scaled to 4) and an MS in maths with 2.8 GPA. I got admitted to some top 10-15 programs and one top 5 (Columbia), also got an interview from Princeton. If you're really worried you could probably email the admissions offices from some programs and ask them if there's a minimum GPA requirement for admission, or if they have any advice. Otherwise just (like me) apply for a bunch of programs and hope for the best after strengthening your profile from different angles (maths courses, programming courses/experience, work experience, good essays and recommendation letters).

I had a BS in applied maths with 3.4 GPA (if scaled to 4) and an MS in maths with 2.8 GPA. I got admitted to some top 10-15 programs and one top 5 (Columbia), also got an interview from Princeton. If you're really worried you could probably email the admissions offices from some programs and ask them if there's a minimum GPA requirement for admission, or if they have any advice. Otherwise just (like me) apply for a bunch of programs and hope for the best after strengthening your profile from different angles (maths courses, programming courses/experience, work experience, good essays and recommendation letters).

How many programs did you apply? 5-10?

I am sorry to hear that... If you have compsci skill i think it is still easy to find a job these days?
Where are you thinking about applying to for MFE?
Yeah I was planning to apply for MFE. I have tons of research experience during school and always wanted to apply to MFE school. I took the GRE and did really well. I went to Stonybrook however.

My undergrad is in Finance (small relatively unknown private school, 3.5 GPA)... Looking into these programs, been working ~1.5 years in financial services.

Are MFE and Quant Finance masters possible stepping-stone programs to Ph.D. in Finance? If so I see tremendous upside in industry potential for a salary while keeping the door open for a Ph.D. to do research on banking & financial institutions, corporate finance, etc. Any info would be great.

Back