• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do i really have a chance to work as a quant?

Hi everyone in QuantNet

Over the last months I have become very interested in the financial world. Lately i've started to learn more about it by reading some material and taking some related courses offered online in cousera.org

During this period i discovered the quantitative finance field, and i can say i really like it, being as challenging and competitive as can be read in this forum.

That being said, my present experience consists of 4 years in software projects working with C/C++ and a degree in EE. This year i'm planning to take a Msc course in Mathemathical Modelling.

The big detail here is that all of that experience and education took place in South America. In general will that be a big limitation when looking for jobs for example in the US?

Do employers take seriously candidates educated in less known universities such as mine could be in there? or even if they do, do they bother to look at resumes of people without a work visa?

I'm guessing that an internship in the US after graduating from the Msc course would help, but i haven't really looked in detail how that would work for a foreigner student.

Thanks!

Back