• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do I stand a realistic chance? (Fall 2024)

Hey guys,
Long time lurker here. First time posting.

Education
  • 4 year undergrad in Computer Science and Engineering from a tier-3 school in India (8.99/10 - CGPA) (Coursework: Vector Calculus, Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Data Analytics, Foundations in C++, Discrete Mathematical Structures)
  • GMAT - 740 (97th percentile) (no idea why I didn't take the GRE)

Work experience:
  • 6-month data science internship in the UK(remote, company unheard of) - Used Python and SQL to reduce operations costs. Used various data analysis libraries in Python to achieve the same, employing statistical methods.
  • 3-month internship as a financial analyst in India - internship involved backtesting trading strategies on Quantconnect.com. Collaborated with PhD candidates, testing their research papers on historical datasets.

Academic Projects:
  • Designed an algorithmic trading strategy that used RandomForestClassfier to predict factors that increase alpha while minimising risk. I achieved a profit of 13% over the past year, managing a fund of $28,800 raised from 3 clients.
  • Designed an ML model that optimally balanced portfolio weights based on real-time market data.
  • Natural language processing model that predicts the degree of similarity between answer scripts, reducing plagiarism(this model is currently being used by my college)
  • Created derivative pricing tools using C++ (Monte-Carlo pricing of Derivatives)
Books:
  • Financial Calculus, an Intro to Derivative Pricing by Martin Baxter and Andrew Rennie
  • Stochastic Differential Equations: An Introduction with Applications by Bernt Oksendal
Certifications:
  • Executive Education course in Data Analytics from Imperial College Business School
  • Udacity's AI for Trading nanodegree
Extra-curriculars:
  • Founded the first Finance club in my college, mobilising over 40 members in a year
  • Led a conference on Financial technology with over 1,000 participants
  • Drums, Volunteering and other standard stuff that has little to do with FE.
My ideal programs are CMU MSCF and Oxford's MSc MCF.
However, I am applying to Boston University's Mathematical Finance, Warwick's Mathematical Finance program, and Imeprial RMFE.
  • Realistically, is there a program I can get into with this profile?
  • Is there any point in applying to the first 2 colleges? My undergrad college is a huge red flag, and as far as I can work out, every Indian applying to CMU seems to be from an IIT.
  • In general, is there anything I could improve about my application? Or should I just take the L and work a couple of years before applying?
Cheers

Back