• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

DO MFE Graduates apply to PhD?

Does a MFE degree (and I need to say that it will be not with the best grades) add value to CV for an applicant to a phd program in math/stats/operation research/finance?

Does a MFE degree (and I need to say that it will be not with the best grades) add value to CV for an applicant to a phd program in math/stats/operation research/finance?
Of course the answer is this depends on what job you are aiming for. A job in quant research would very much appreciate a PhD...

Of course the answer is this depends on what job you are aiming for. A job in quant research would very much appreciate a PhD...

Well my goal is academy (in fact, my MFE would be a discharge from PhD program in Math Finance) - getting PhD to work in a bank would be useless as I can get a job in my home country without doctoral degree

I don't understand, aren't you already doing a PhD in mathematical finance?

I don't understand, aren't you already doing a PhD in mathematical finance?

I had been doing it... But I had been forced to leave PhD after year 1 (as other 2 students so only 2 out of 5 are left) for being lower than 3.3 Gpa requirement and was offered to transfer to the master program....

When schools evaluate your application, I think they will look at your grades.

I know some MFE grads who go to PhD programs in Operation Research, Stats, etc but they have prior degree(s) in such subject so it's hard to say if MFE adds any value for PhD admission.
Keep in mind everyone knows it's a terminal professional degree and you are supposed to get (or have) a job after MFE.

My prior 5-year degree (but I got it 6 years ago) is in mathematics - so I am thinking whether it makes sense to apply for PhD in fall 2014?

I guess they will look at your application as a whole. Depending on what courses you have taken in your MFE and their relevance towards the PhD program that you are applying to, your MFE may or may not matter. Again, it is about how they feel on your ability to do research. I don't think having an MFE itself is a showstopper to getting into a PhD program.

Look at Finance PhD programs. I've seen a few of them with MFE degrees. It's probably meaningless if you don't perform well but if you can do well in the more theoretical financial engineering courses it will definitely help.

I've actually talked to a professor at a top finance department to this same effect.

Look at Finance PhD programs. I've seen a few of them with MFE degrees. It's probably meaningless if you don't perform well but if you can do well in the more theoretical financial engineering courses it will definitely help.

I've actually talked to a professor at a top finance department to this same effect.

Does doing PhD in Finance with the background of MFE make sense? I just want more advice and opinion here. I'm doing my MFE right now, and am considering PhD in Mathematics, Financial Engineering or Operational Research in the future. (but not right after my graduation of MFE) I personally thought that doing Finance PhD after MFE is not really worth it since Financial Engineering itself is one specific subject in finance.

What do you think a PhD is? Your dissertation will be on a specific subject within a specific subject of finance...The MFE probably best prepares you to focus in on asset pricing I would imagine.

What do you think a PhD is? Your dissertation will be on a specific subject within a specific subject of finance...The MFE probably best prepares you to focus in on asset pricing I would imagine.

I just guessed that Finance PhD program may not offer you the deeper level of FE knowledge (which is much more technical than Corporate Finance subjects) and that's why I assumed doing Finance PhD after MSFE might not worth it.

I know it's a shallow judgement, I haven't done that much research about this matter. yet.

I just guessed that Finance PhD program may not offer you the deeper level of FE knowledge (which is much more technical than Corporate Finance subjects) and that's why I assumed doing Finance PhD after MSFE might not worth it.

I know it's a shallow judgement, I haven't done that much research about this matter. yet.

Well I did not plan to get MFE, I originally planned to get PhD and was transferred to MFE after year 1, but still want to get PhD.

Back