• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do you even lift? What are your hobbies outside of the quant world?

I am a huge fan of lifting heavy weights! The funny thing is I was obese in high school, and extremely shy. This hobby I picked up freshmen year of college boosted my confidence a lot. And played a huge role in getting my first girlfriend (still with her). If anyone needs lifting advice please post your questions here, I'll be happy to help. I might post my "transformation pics" later. So what are your hobbies?

Also I am a huge Game of Thrones fan.

So what are your hobbies?

People here mostly don't have any. Playing musical chairs for the limited number of jobs takes everything out of them. And if they get the jobs, the long hours and work pressure get them. Welcome to neoliberal turbo-charged capitalism.

Also I am a huge Game of Thrones fan.

Have you read the books? Watching the series doesn't count.

Hang Gliding (USHPA Hang 3 Pilot)
SCUBA diving off the NJ Coast, Long Island, and in Lake Michigan
Some motorcycle racing

I exercise some.

We are the one profession in banking where you get paid pretty darned well, get a lot of free time and don't have a high-stress job.

Last edited:
Have you read the books? Watching the series doesn't count.

I've tried so hard to read the books, I only got through a third of the first book. It feels like way too much time must be spent for the amount of enjoyment received...especially since I have a general idea of what happens due to the show. I am thinking about just reading summaries and skipping to the new book when it comes out later this year.

I do my weight training M/W/F and play tennis whenever I can. I know members here who train for marathon or play soccer.
NYC has 24/7 gyms so there is no lack for opportunities to workout.

That's Awesome!! What are your numbers like, and what program do you run, 5/3/1 ?

429/249/501 SQ/BP/DL -- competition maxes (* in LBs). Done @ weight of 185 (198 class).

Awesome numbers!! I have yet to compete but my best numbers are 285/185/375 Sq/Bp/Dl at 160lbs everything beltless

I'm on my C3W1 with this program. After a few cycles, I'll see if I want to switch to a new program.
That looks like a very decent program. Combined with a caloric surplus one should expect major gainz!! I could never hop on this program, mainly because I wouldn't enjoy it. I love conventional deadlifts too much, as well as training in the 2-8 rep range. My philosophy (shared by many others) is to run programs, that you enjoy to do (since it will have you coming back to the gym week after week) and also incorporates some form of progression.

I used to lift metal weights when I was younger. Nowadays you can lift bodies with judo and jiu jitsu :D

Awesome numbers!! I have yet to compete but my best numbers are 285/185/375 Sq/Bp/Dl at 160lbs everything beltless
Thanks -- that's not bad, but if you get a serious belt, you should easily add 50 lbs to that squat. DL improvements vary.

I don't run a specific program, and what I do run is highly variable. I try to keep some consistent elements -- squat and bench ME every week, deadlift ideally once a week, DE or ME. The specific ME method can vary -- 5/3/1, simple ramping.

The assistance is tailored to whatever I'm focusing on. If it's fat loss, then complexes, if it's pushing up my numbers, then PL assistance (good mornings, RDL, DB bench).

I'm big into running and strength training. Maxed out bench today for fun with a buddy. Got 255 lbs without too much trouble but stalled out at 275 lbs. Ran 6 last week at a 6:38 pace. Around 170 lbs body weight.

I wouldn't really describe being a fan of Game of Thrones as a hobby.

I lift. But mostly I spend my free time reading and learning new stuff.

Thanks -- that's not bad, but if you get a serious belt, you should easily add 50 lbs to that squat. DL improvements vary.

I don't run a specific program, and what I do run is highly variable. I try to keep some consistent elements -- squat and bench ME every week, deadlift ideally once a week, DE or ME. The specific ME method can vary -- 5/3/1, simple ramping.

The assistance is tailored to whatever I'm focusing on. If it's fat loss, then complexes, if it's pushing up my numbers, then PL assistance (good mornings, RDL, DB bench).

My plan is to buy lifting gear when I hit somewhat respectable numbers like a 3 plate squat and 4 plate deadlift. Specifically an Inzer belt and oly shoes. I'm positive I'll get there before Fall.

Our approaches to lifting are really similar haha. The one key aspect I incorporate to my workouts is daily undulating periodization (DUP).

""DUP refers to using different loads, reps, and sets in a resistance training program on different days of the week."

I'm big on lifting too, been following 5/3/1 for a while now. Love playing soccer too.

@Yike Lu just out of curiosity were those lifts raw? I've wanted to do a powerlifting comp for some time now, but haven't tried anything with gear.

I lifted for a few years before switching to a purely calisthenic regiment... weighted (push ups, pull ups, dips) usually in pyramids, a lot of core work, a lot of running... and I can't see myself going back to weight lifting. I've found the latter is much healthier for joints, leads to better total fitness and a generally preferable aesthetic. That's in my experience, anyway.

I am not too much into lifting as well.

Prefer high interval training using your body weight. Nothing works better to improve your agility, stamina and physique.

Would want to complete an ironman one day, but working in trading certainly makes it difficult to dedicate enough time for the training.

For anyone looking to go into finance, be prepared to sit for long hours on the chair and kill your back for life (sad but reality).

As Andy mentioned there are 24/7 gyms so dedication is all you need at the end of the day. Sports should be compulsory on the job. Nothing better to steam off the pressure from work with a solid work out.

Confession: I sometimes pop mid-trading to the gym for 5 mins and do 20-25 reps of pull ups on the bar :D

@Ddavis, that was all raw with belt (USAPL NJ States). Most of the people at the USAPL meet were in the Raw Division, and anyways USAPL Gear Division is 1-ply only.
@Anik Roy, the minute you buy a belt you'll hit 3 plate squat. I don't see the point in waiting. Also Oly shoes are debatable for DL.

I don't consider what I do "DUP". I just have in mind what I want to do every week (SQ, BP, sometimes DL) and I make the rest up on the day of depending on how I feel. I couple that with keeping detailed records so that I can monitor progress and try to beat my previous workouts.

Back