• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does a Quantitative Economics master enable a career in Quantitative Finance?

Hey guys,
I am an econ undergraduate student and not sure about what master program to choose. I am considering a career in quantitative finance and I'm aware of the fact that a normal econ backround usually does not enable me to work as a quant. Of course, there are stats or econometrics master programs which would fit. Nevertheless, I am interested in a quantitative economics master program. Here, the "quantitative" is not just an empty phrase - the program is much more quantitative than standard economics masters but, indeed, the quantitative level is below the level of a financial mathematics master.

Do you think that could be an option for me? Do you have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Just in addition: I'm planning to do a PhD anyway.

If you learn to code, ml, and have strong stats foundation anyone can get into quant finance.
I did a programming course (java) but I have to extend my knowledge/skills. Thanks for the advice!

I did a programming course (java) but I have to extend my knowledge/skills. Thanks for the advice!
Be very good with data analysis with python, that would help a lot. Know how to handle different types of data and be able to use techniques in ML and DS to transform it to be useful. Strong stats/prob background helps with the job and helps to answer many interview questions that you might face. Also would help to build up a knowledge of financial markets and basic finance and fixed income stuff

Back