• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does anyone know how to replicate VIX using S&P options or futures?

Don't think it's too quantitative. I need a logical way (buy,sell) to replicate if there is one. Thank you for any input.

I have some ideas, but I will ask your question at the NY Options Conference going on right now that I am at. I will ask the makers of VIX index (although they might not be too happy about replication), about it after their presentation. I will post it here if I get a good answer, otherwise I will just give you what I think might be a good substitute.

Well, there is no way to do a static replication on VIX I think, just because of it's structure. You would have to do some sort of dynamic replication of variance swaps.

The simplest way to replicate a long VIX futures would be to short a strip of SPX options possibly.

Here is some more literature: http://www.cboe.com/micro/vix/vixtermstructure.pdf

Hopefully I get a better answer tomorrow. :)

Spot VIX, no, but VXX is pretty much the only place anything like that is traded--and VXX is a weighted portfolio of the two front months of VIX futures, which is the real fundamental instrument. The futures can actually be replicated (in theory) because their maturity is a fixed time.

You should look into the literature on variance swaps if you want detail--it's a static hedge in OTM options combined with a dynamic hedge in the underlying. I wouldn't imagine it's particularly economical, however.

Buy VIX call, short VIX put and you've got a synthetic VIX forward. Or you could just use VIX futures. Same delta, just a different theta exposure.

Thank you all; It was helpful.

@ Joy: Could you elaborate a bit more about shorting a strip of SPY options to replicate long VIX futures in words (business way)?

I read your paper, but quite not understanding an equation. (not sure which part of an equation indicating 'short' spy).

If you are interested in more information about VIX Futures, check out this release:

CBOE.com

In October, with volume up 155% from a year earlier, VIX futures notched the 13th consecutive month of year-over-year volume increases.

Realize I am quite late to this party but can't it be shown relatively easily that you can replicate vix futures using a strip of s&p options (using the same argument as in variance swap replication).

It's trivial and canonical. People buy and sell the strip literally every VIX expiry (which is now weekly)

Back