• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does Phi Beta Kappa matter in MFE application?

Hey, I am just wondering if Phi Beta Kappa is valued in the process of MFE application? I come from a top 20 LAC, with GPA above 3.8, and 1400+ GRE score, maths and econ double major, have taken classes in java programming and algorithm. Not sure if there is any chance to get into some top MFE programs. I am doing an independent research on topics related to convex optimization, but will not finish until next year right before I graduate. I hope someone can help me recommend some good programs. Thanks everyone.

while(title.isMisleading())
throw new ThreadIgnoredException("PUT THIS IS IN THE MASTER THREAD!");

The Phi Beta Kappa Society is an academic honor society, not a Greek fraternity. It should matter in an application; it does for Baruch MFE Program admission.

Wikipedia:
Since inception, 17 U.S. Presidents, 37 U.S. Supreme Court Justices, 1 NFL MVP and 131 Nobel Laureates have been inducted members.
Phi Beta Kappa Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, Andy. I have looked a lot of posts here, and you are really kind in giving advice to everyone. I am just wondering if it is possible to get some school selection advice from you? Like which tier of schools should focus on? Thank you so much!

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Hi, euroazn, sorry for making my title misleading. I was a little bit spontaneous in writing the post, did not carefully put an appropriate title. But still, I am really in need of some good advices for schools, since deadlines are around the corner already. Thank you so much !!!

Thank you Dr. Stefan, it is really great to hear from you. Baruch MFE program is one of my top choices. But my weakness is I dun have any WE related to Quants. I am about to graduate next year, should I give it a try to apply to Baruch? I noticed that nearly all MFE students in Baruch has strong WE.

About a quarter of our students in each class do not have relevant work experience. It is the overall strength of the application that matters - there is no requirement per se of having work experience.

lol are you ******* joking dude??? phi beta kappa is not just a "Greek-sounding honor society" it's the most prestigious and difficult honor any undergrad in the united states can get coming out of college. the ones you were in may be bullshit but pbk is not. you'd be insane not to put that on your resume

Back