• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does where you do your PhD matter?

Hi, Im currently a Mathematics undergrad student at a top tier university in the UK (COWI). I intend to eventually pursue a PhD in Applied Mathematics as Im considering academia and generally research appeals to me so I want a PhD as an end in itself. Nevertheless, Ive recently become interested in finance and I find the role of a quant most appealing (I want relatively Math heavy work, Im also a decent programmer and dont mind programming).

Now my question is: will where I do a PhD make a big difference? In the UK for Mathematics the "top tier" universities are Oxbridge, Warwick and Imperial (COWI) and I doubt Ill be able get in one for a doctorate. If I manage to do a PhD at a secondary tier university, what are my chances of becoming a quant?

Right, in that case, would it be wise to also do a MFE/Masters in Financial Mathematics, I reckon I have a much better chance of getting into a top tier university for that rather than a PhD.

If all we are talking about is branding then we have to take into account where you did your undergrad degree.

You also have to ask yourself why you can more easily get in to do a MSc than a PhD...

Undergrad degree isnt a problem since it would be from a top 4 university in the UK. I guess Im asking if a undergrad+MFE at a top 4 + PhD at a say upper top 10 will work as a substitute to undergrad and PhD at top 4/5 institution. After speaking to people at my university, it seems that its somewhat easier to get in for an Msc rather than a PhD.

well common. Is Bristol or Bath or Manchester or for that matter UCL or Edinburgh 2nd tier. So research at these places is below COWI! Really if you do a good phd it shouldn't matter where you do it. 2nd tier to me would mean somewhere like st. andrews or the like. If the place has a large active maths dept what is the problem.

I think Bristol, UCL, Bath or Edinburgh are not that far off COWI. Try not be fixated on this top 4 thing. Banks will carry on recruiting from where they like but a good phd will speak for itself, assuming the person interviewing is a person willing to overlook top-4 fixations and look at content

well common. Is Bristol or Bath or Manchester or for that matter UCL or Edinburgh 2nd tier. So research at these places is below COWI! Really if you do a good phd it shouldn't matter where you do it. 2nd tier to me would mean somewhere like st. andrews or the like. If the place has a large active maths dept what is the problem.

I think Bristol, UCL, Bath or Edinburgh are not that far off COWI. Try not be fixated on this top 4 thing. Banks will carry on recruiting from where they like but a good phd will speak for itself, assuming the person interviewing is a person willing to overlook top-4 fixations and look at content

The term COWI is used with reference specifically to Mathematics departments. I agree with you it's a bullshit term. If you go to Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE you have a much higher chance of getting into banking - between them (at the graduate level at least) they provide 90+% of all IB hires.

Back