• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Downward Dog Position Is Key To Getting Ahead On Wall Street, Says Private Equity Guy

When Jay Solomon was applying for jobs in finance last year, there was one thing on his resume that set him apart from the competition. It wasn’t his prior experience, or education or Excel skills. It wasn’t even his formatting and it definitely wasn’t his scented paper, which everyone uses these days. It was his ability to put his foot behind his head.

When Solomon, 25, was applying for jobs in real estate, there was one achievement on his CV that always got a response. “I put advanced yoga practitioner . . . just some bulls – - t at the bottom of the resume,” says Solomon. “All these guys were like, ‘Oh, I do yoga, come here, let me show you my yoga mat in the office,’ ” he recalls.

While neither Solomon nor the people interviewing him actually sound very Yogi master-like (“some bull shit”? “Let me show you my yoga mat”?), it was enough to not only get his foot in the door but land him a gig at “a private equity real estate fund in Harlem.” And that’s not all.
Solomon has used his yoga skills to get in good with the boss in ways those who aren’t quite as flexible cannot.

Three weeks after he was hired in September, Solomon suggested he and his boss hobnob over half-moon poses. They now practice hot power yoga once a month together at an Upper East Side studio.

“I just knew that he loved yoga, and I thought it’d be something good that we could do together,” explains Solomon. Today, he credits his love of yoga with giving him a leg up in the job market. “I think it automatically marks you as slightly alternative, creative and modern . . . If I put the gym or weightlifting [on my resume], I don’t think people would care as much.”

Though for comparison’s sake- would some please give it a shot? Let’s find out the breakdown of employers on Wall Street who prefer an employee who can get into lotus position versus one who can bench 250.
Yoga is the new golf [NYP via BI]

Source: Dealbreaker

I can put my foot behind my leg! Does that mean I can just skip college and go straight to make more than one million dollars a year????????????????

Back