• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Early Expiry Volatility

Hi,

I am new to Quant but have worked as software developer in risk management product.

I need to understand what are the different ways to calculate early expiry volatility. Basically I need it to price serial(strip) option. One of the suggestion was given to use Gabillon Model to calculate EEV.

My questions are
1. What are different ways to calculate EEV?
2. What is Gabillon model and how to use it to calculate EEV?
3. What advantage Gabillon model has over other models to calculate EEV?

I guess Gabillon model is used to construct volatility term structure. Is it correct? I appreciate if someone can explain Gabillon model and/or provide some reference material on how to use it to calculate EEV.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

You may want to look at Jim Gatheral "Volatility Surface" book. It has nice article on volatility surface asymptotics in general and short expirations in particular.

Thanks for pointing this out. I quickly glanced through chapter 7 of this book "Volatility Surface Asymptotics".

It doesn't talk about Gabillon model which I really want to understand.

Could someone suggest the models generally used for pricing Strip Option.

Any explanation and/or reference to Gabillon model would be highly appreciated.

Why this model is preferred over others for calculating EEV?

Back