• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

EB1 application

Does anybody in finance file for EB1 category greencard, especially someone with non-Finance PhDs? I was asking for my friend as EB2 waiting time is too much for indians and chinese. Looks like it is impossible to file under EB1 category once you become a quant. Any suggestions?

If you have a job offer, why bother with EB-1? the HB-1 wait times are very down, and even last year I don't even think they hit the quota. The Company has to petition either way.

If you have a job offer, why bother with EB-1? the HB-1 wait times are very down, and even last year I don't even think they hit the quota. The Company has to petition either way.

No my friend has a job but then you need to secure your stay here in US. For that you require green card.
So I was asking whether EB1 category filing is possible for quants.

EB1 is more than simply having Ph.D. You have to be extraordinary. Most of the people that I know got green card in EB1 category were Post Docs a couple of times and had a lot of papers and research experience under their belt. They were already of no use by the time they got their green card, other than publishing papers on some theoretical topic funded by NSF. USCIS page however does not say any particular field as an eligibility criteria for EB1.

In normal cases EB2 includes both PhDs and Masters. I have a MS but PhDs at my work had been filed under EB2 as well. The EB2 queue for Indians and Chinese extends to 2005. Good luck with that if you have any decent career plans! You will feel better standing under hot sun on the equator.

Back