• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Econometrics/stats vs Quant Finance

What would you recommend: a master's degree in econometrics or statistics with a specialization in financial markets or a master's degree in QF?

What is your background and what are your objectives? What does a masters in econometrics/stats provide you that a QF masters doesn’t, and vice-versa?
I am studying economics right now (obtaining my bachelor's degree next year). But I am interested in a career in QF and therefore, I need a master's program which would make that possible. A econometrics/stats program would provide in depth knowledge regarding theoretical and methodological aspects. The QF program may be sufficient but I am concerned that even if it is labeled with QF it doesn't enable a career in QF.

Post a curriculum of the econometrics masters. I would say one main difference is stochastic calculus. Pricing of options is something which is the foundation of mfe degrees. Some classes will be similar such as time series, stats/data science, possibly ML now. With more info I guess I could give you a better answer.

Back