Education advice for applied math student

• Thread starter Thread starter missb
  • Start date Start date
I have one year left in a Master's in Applied Math at a top Canadian university. I have a BSc. in Physics from another Canadian University. I've found I'm not especially good at my chosen topic of research (quantum physics), although I do enjoy it. I've been looking into mathematical finance careers and am particularly interested in the MMF program at U of T.

My undergrad GPA is 3.9/4.3. Mostly A's and B's although I did get one C in statistical thermodynamics :(. My graduate GPA isn't looking that great so far, unfortunately, due to some unforeseen circumstances.
I've taken advanced courses in linear algebra, PDEs, calculus, stochastic processes, and functional analysis, plus a ton of physics courses. I know MATLAB but have very little programming experience otherwise. No finance experience. Canadian universities do not require the GRE so I have not taken it before.

My options are: (a) Apply to Canadian universities this fall for next year (U of T, Waterloo, McMaster).
(b) Take a year after my Master's to take the GRE and try to improve my application, apply to some American schools as well as Canadian ones.
(c) Give up on the quantitative finance idea, and chose something more suited to my background.

Do I stand any sort of chance to be accepted to a program like this?

Thanks in advance!

Firstly, you need to make sure whether u like fe, by reading books or trying entry level internships. If not, take your third choice.

Otherwise, take both your first and second choices together. They don't contradict to each other. The result of this year's application will let u know which way to go.

Thanks, you're right. I was hoping to get a feel on whether I have the basic education requirements to even look into it. I'm guessing I'm not too far behind, but I really should learn more about the subject before shooting about applications. Are there any specific texts/online courses you would recommend?

Well, I do believe u have the abilities to do well in fe if u like it, since I was also a researcher in quantum before, which is more sophisticated, and not that encouraging as finance.

I suggest u to take courses on Coursera.com, like Financial engineering and risk management by Columbia MSFE profs, mathematics for finance by UW prof, and computational investing by Georgia tech QCF prof. It's a good way to connect those mfe programs too, which helped me a lot in my application.

Back
Top Bottom