• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Seeking Advice: Pursuing Applied Math BA as a Foundation for a Finance Degree

Hello everyone,

I am currently a high school student in my final year,looking forward to pursuing an undergraduate degree in applied math in the Netherlands. I am extremely passionate about finance, and I believe that pursuing a degree in applied math before pursuing a Master's in Finance (MF) would be beneficial for me. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate your insights on.

Firstly, do you think it is a good choice to pursue a bachelor's degree in applied math before pursuing a Master's in Finance? I believe that a strong foundation in applied math will provide me with valuable quantitative skills that will complement my interests in finance. I would love to hear your thoughts and any advice you might have.

Secondly, I am curious about the prospects of being accepted into a finance degree program at a top UK university after completing a bachelor's degree in applied math. Would having a quantitative background give me an advantage in terms of facing less competition? Additionally, would universities consider my GPA differently due to the rigorous courses I would undertake as a math student? I am interested to know if my mathematical background could potentially compensate for a lower GPA.

I am grateful for any guidance or personal experiences you can share regarding these matters. Thank you in advance for your help!

Applied maths embraces many topics which may or may not be useful.
Are you eyeing a specific (techniical) university in NL?

Back