• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Equal Opportunities Employers & Autism

Hi,

I'm pretty well into the autistic spectrum (Aspergers), but hide it well, mainly through the use of a vast memory bank of lines and talking styles of comedians and other popular figures. I don't see it as a disability, but it would explain why I come across a little odd in interviews. I'm reluctant to put it on a CV or cover letter because people have their own views on it. I've heard numerous jokes about people with it in the workplace (while working next to them) and it doesn't hurt or anything (normally pretty funny).

Would you put it on the CV or Cover letter for a quant role? Bring it up in the interview? Do HR see it as a good thing? I would, but I'm a touch biased.

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Cylen

I would ask Ellen Reeves :)

Personally, I wouldn't bring it up unless you are requesting special accommodation or have physical symptoms that an interviewer might not be accustomed to.

I would work with a friend, family member, professor, colleague, coach etc - as many different people as possible - on mock interviews, appropriate answers to typical interview questions, body language, eye contact and voice control.

There are some resources and non-profits that may be able to help and this software company specifically seeks out aspies!

In the quant/math/programming world you will find lots of people on varying ends of the spectrum. Many jobs, especially in research or programming, don't require elegant communication. Apply for jobs that play off your strengths.

If you're good at your job, people tend to see past the quirks ;)

My issue here is that while the physical disabilities have had their battle fought years back and have been accepted, the mental ones haven't. There's a lot of misinformation out there on us aspies, and it's become a glib term thrown around for anyone a bit odd.

It would also lay some credibility for some of the things I have on my resume and ability to spot/remember things.

Back