• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Equity Trading Strategies

Hey guys,

I've been trying to google some equity trading strategies, as I'm trading 3000 (basically all of my savings, I'm a college student), but I haven't found very much.

I just was wondering if I could tap into the collective knowledge of the community for any leads to things I could research online.

Thanks,

Brendan

Hey guys,
... (basically all of my savings, I'm a college student)...

Do I even need to say how stupid that is? First do some serious paper trading, and than move on to bigger and better things.

Hey guys,

I've been trying to google some equity trading strategies, as I'm trading 3000 (basically all of my savings, I'm a college student), but I haven't found very much.

I just was wondering if I could tap into the collective knowledge of the community for any leads to things I could research online.

Thanks,

Brendan

What are you basically seeking? Materials to gain some knowledge or advice on what?

My suggestion is to buy a penny stock with 100:1 margin. Just make sure beta is 0 because then it's risk free! PROFIT!!!!!!

I'm glad to see somebody's willing to pay for their education.

Buy the dip. Short the hump.

Having reviewed the above posts and got more or less clearly your intent, I think that the best profit is to keep that $3000 into pocket.

With all the blatant money-printing going on, Im not sure if that is such a good idea.
He should go for something rock-solid...like gold, silver or Facebook credit. Yeah, those should do.

With all the blatant money-printing going on, Im not sure if that is such a good idea.
He should go for something rock-solid...like gold, silver or Facebook credit. Yeah, those should do.

I agree in an idea, :) but I what I meant was to avoid putting "all of his savings = $3000" into risk with no real awareness of the issue. It's not a good practice to be willing to put all of your saving under risk while seeking strategy on a forum.

In case you haven't already picked up on it, you shouldn't ever risk all of your savings.

Thanks for all the great input!

I'm sure you're all terribly passive-aggressive as you come across as, but you don't need to prove it to me.

1. Don't really care about my savings... I'm a college student dependent on family and would rather put on my resume that I traded 3k of my own money than have it sit in a money market account (I don't spend much money).

2. I'm talking about strategies like pairs trading, market neutral strategies that are interesting and have some literature backing them.

3. As you may be able to tell from 1, I don't really care whether I have 2,500 or 3,500 in my account by the summer, and I'll get some of the jokes I expect out of the way for those of you who think you're funny ("give the 3k to me!" "buy a hooker" "buy some crack" etc.). Hysterical.

I'm asking to see if anyone knows of any good equity trading strategies or textbooks on equity trading strategies beyond typical technical or fundamental analysis. I'm not coming on here telling you what to do or proselytizing about some get rich quick magic bullet. If you're claiming that equity strategies do not exist and are a waste of time, I'll point you in the direction of many money managers who do pretty well...

If you'd prefer to just be assholes, go ahead, the only people you're hurting are those that take this forum community seriously.

@boneil First: it was really unclear from the first post what you were particularly seeking and I asked

What are you basically seeking? Materials to gain some knowledge or advice on what?

Whether it was a book or article or just expecting any advice from us which had to be considered as not a good direction for you, because we wouldn't wish you to loose whatever amount it is. As you said it's all of your saving, so how could we advice you on a strategy and encourage you to take risk?! This would be completely unjustifiable to direct a person to risk all of his saving while having not a real knowledge of a strategies how to do it. And if you actually asked for an article about one particular strategy that wouldn't be enough. Experience is needed when risking (again) all of your savings. And the joke containing posts are very common on every forum. That was not a cynical. Just followed the posts. You can search for responses on my posts and I accept them very calm since we know the motivation.

Best
Tsotne

would rather put on my resume that I traded 3k of my own money than have it sit in a money market account (I don't spend much money)
DON'T. (SERIOUSLY.) It looks horribly unprofessional and will be useless on your resume for all but perhaps prop-trading where you don't even have a salary.

That being said, trading isn't really something individual investors should be doing... it's a negative sum game thanks to those nasty commissions. BTW - market neutral isn't really a trading strategy, it's an investing strategy. Same goes for fundamental analysis - it's almost useless in trading.

If you want a more elaborate answer, be more specific. "Tell m3 abut trd|ng strategies pl0x" isn't really gonna cut it because that's too general of a question.

With $3,000 and unlimited amount of time and energy of a college students who looking to learn, I would direct those resources into something like this
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/quant-programming-contest.5817/

There used to be Interactive Broker Trading Olympiad which gave 100K for first place. It's quite a way to learn trading API, back testing, strategy.
Nowadays, you can see if there are any individual or college trading contests where you can enter at no fee. Your equity is your time and energy. $3,000 can be used to buy a good computer that you can use to learn to back test, install trading API, so on.

Back