• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Essay A vs. Essay B

Sky

I have a question about what exactly Essay A and Essay B are looking for. Essay A asks to discuss how my background will help me achieve my goals and be successful at CMU. Essay B asks to give my background in finance, computer science, math, and statistics, with a detailed discussion of my background in calculus-based probability theory. So, both essays are essentially asking me to give my academic background. Because one could easily give the same laundry list of academic history for each one, I'm thinking that CMU is hoping for students to notice the subtleties in answering both essays. My approach right now is to give some highlights from my academic background for each of the core areas requested in Essay B, but with most of the essay being about my calculus-based probability knowledge. I'm also making most of Essay A to be about my goals and how I will be successful at CMU, but somehow linking my academic and professional background to support these statements. Am I understanding these essays correctly? Or am I totally off track here?

plz do your homework before asking people here - look at previous chat transcripts/search this forum etc... youll find what you need

I have a question about what exactly Essay A and Essay B are looking for. Essay A asks to discuss how my background will help me achieve my goals and be successful at CMU. Essay B asks to give my background in finance, computer science, math, and statistics, with a detailed discussion of my background in calculus-based probability theory. So, both essays are essentially asking me to give my academic background. Because one could easily give the same laundry list of academic history for each one, I'm thinking that CMU is hoping for students to notice the subtleties in answering both essays. My approach right now is to give some highlights from my academic background for each of the core areas requested in Essay B, but with most of the essay being about my calculus-based probability knowledge. I'm also making most of Essay A to be about my goals and how I will be successful at CMU, but somehow linking my academic and professional background to support these statements. Am I understanding these essays correctly? Or am I totally off track here?
Sky, I am taking the same approach as you. Essay A and Essay B are related. Essay A this time is slightly different from previous year. I think Essay A last year was this:

What are your reasons for undertaking graduate study in the field of computational finance?
Please describe your future career plans and how they relate to your experience, your education and your proposed training at Carnegie Mellon University. Describe your short-term and long-term objectives and how you plan to achieve them.

I think there are a few differences. Last year, it asked why which was not asked this year. It asked how the MSCF course can help you to achieve your goals which was not asked this year. Instead, it asked how your education and work experience can help you to achieve your goals and succeed the course.

I think your approach is definitely right.

Back