• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Evolutionary computation in quant finance

Hi All,
I have been working on stochastic evolutionary algorithm for few years now. Of the variety of different evolutionary algorithms, my focus has been on Multi objective particle swarm optimisation(mopso). I have worked on a diversity preference mopso and got published - here

I was just going through the literature at the intersection of evolutionary algorithms and quant finance. Found some interesting techniques for carry trade portfolio optimisation using such algorithms. There were also some papers around using EAs for time series forecasting and a vast number of trials for portfolio optimisation.

I am looking for advice and general direction someone can point me in w.r.t. problem statement in quant finance where EAs could be promising. I am looking to implement my published algorithm for such a problem and see how it performs.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is up your alley but I did undergrad research with different algorithms (including ga and pso) to calibrate parameters in Heston based stochastic models. Nothing too exciting but definitely better than traditional gradient descent approaches.

Option pricing isn’t as hot a topic in quant anymore as portfolio optimization but it’s another intersection of EAs and quant finance.

Last edited:
Back