• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Explosion rumor

I don't see massive disruption caused by HFT. What I do see is some individuals making poor choices and finding a convenient scapegoat. Meanwhile it seems like there are quite literally zero regulators that understand the first thing about HFT.

I mean look at the article by the guy that's quoted above. He says HFT is disadvantageous for retail investors! ... HFT is MOST advantageous for retail investors.

I don't see massive disruption caused by HFT
I think it's safe to say that HFT is a disruptive technology in that it has changed the economics and the societal fabric of the financial industry (computational finance and quantnet).

finding a convenient scapegoat
Agreed. But what new invention has not gone through this phase?

What I do see is some individuals making poor choices
Which is, unfortunately, precisely why we need regulations. In a perfect world HFT increases efficiency and lowers costs for companies. But we live in a world of bad code and worse people, where things like the flash crash and the knight capital disaster exist.
Whether the informed and responsible population want it or not, the regulation is coming.

Which is, unfortunately, precisely why we need regulations.
... you're going to regulate human traders? Good luck making that happen.

But we live in a world of bad code and worse people, where things like the flash crash and the knight capital disaster exist.

Both of which hugely profitable for human traders and highly unprofitable for algos. You're going to forbid someone from losing money on Wall St.?

More evidence that algo's disrupt the market when things go wrong. Yes regulation is needed.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetel...aises-questions-about-market-structure-rules/

andarko petroleum was destroyed in seconds

In theory HFT is supposed to reduce the spread for retail investors which it does, but what about the manipulation taking place like quote stuffing, rebate trading and false liquidity destroying the market in seconds.

I say that regulation is much needed.

As you can see lots of traders agree with me, not just code jockies

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=268188

More evidence that algo's disrupt the market when things go wrong. Yes regulation is needed.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetel...aises-questions-about-market-structure-rules/

andarko petroleum was destroyed in seconds

In theory HFT is supposed to reduce the spread for retail investors which it does, but what about the manipulation taking place like quote stuffing, rebate trading and false liquidity destroying the market in seconds.

As you can see lots of traders agree with me, not just code jockies

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=268188

... This had nothing to do with algos. These are retail customer's stop orders getting triggered. It has absolutely nothing to do with HFT.

You are talking about many things here. If you are against rebate trading, you are against providing liquidity which is good for customers. If you or your brokers are still using market orders, that's clearly your own fault since you know the rules of a market order. Of course those traders agree with you, because what they used to do is a slower version of HFT. For the record, I am a trader and I am definitely not a code jocky.

definitely not a code jocky
Yeah okay Mr. Stuyvesant Football Team QB...

Of course you do. This isn't surprising.

Suggested reading material:
http://www.amazon.com/Empirical-Mar...1641/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369818249&sr=8-1

Also if I may add - there are VERY heavily regulated markets out there that have been around for ages. Perhaps take a hard look at them? You can't regulate away basic mathematics...

Yeah okay Mr. Stuyvesant Football Team QB...

Of course you do. This isn't surprising.

Suggested reading material:
http://www.amazon.com/Empirical-Mar...1641/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369818249&sr=8-1

Also if I may add - there are VERY heavily regulated markets out there that have been around for ages. Perhaps take a hard look at them? You can't regulate away basic mathematics...

I understand Lyosha that you have an agenda to push, to protect your job and the place that HFT and algo's have in the market place, as more regulation will cut profits for people who work at such firms, which I am guessing that you do.

But at the loss of your economic benefit, I think that the market will be better off and more stable and inspire more confidence with rules being tightened around automated trading.

As there was another flash crash today in the market in two stocks

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/electi...ike-again-this-time-at-williams-sonoma-hyatt/

I know you're going to say that this was caused by humans and not computers but considering how flash crashes of 100ms it is the fact of electronic trading itself that creates this paradigm.

I can pretty much assure you that a crash back when stocks were traded via the phone, did not take 100ms nor recover as fast. Everything is faster, fast to the point of separating and diverging from the original purpose of the markets into a vehicle for manipulation today by people who add no value to the market themselves

As we all know the markets exist for people to come together and agree upon the future value of a security through their voting actions of purchases and sales, Im sure you know markets are forward looking discounting processes.

The market is not better off, having computer execute trades in ms, nor are investors or the confidence such fragility and lack of meaning that such events inspire in people.

Prices of stocks are supposed to represent something, but automated trading destroys faith, manipulating prices causing wild swings in ms that a stock worth $90.00 at 9:45:01 AM, then worth $3.00 at 9:45:03 AM then worth 90.00 again in a few seconds.

I dont think we need to go back to the phone and trade like we did in the 80's but we do need to make sure that automated trading is prevented from warping the market to the point that any price of a stock can be destroyed in ms.

Its an issue of investor psychology, and less of math and equations.

When I put money into the market, I want to know there are other traders who are human and taking the other side of my trades. We are disagreeing on the value of the stock. But when I buy a 100 shares there is a computer on the other side that is taking the bet against me. Almost all the volume is done by computers on the exchange.

This computer was designed to provide liquidity, and take a zero directional bias, or to trade around my ideas of what something is worth. The algo's are not contributing any knowledge to the market, they try not to take any bets in one direction. There by acting in many cases as a tax and a leech to those who want to participate in the auctioning process.

I again reiterate that for this reason many people have lost faith in the markets, and believe them to be manipulated, and why lots of volume has moved into dark pools.

I don't think we need to get rid of computers in trading, in fact I know that the algorithms that I use, help speed the execution, but if you take what I am doing and multiply it by 100X then the net cumulative effect of everyone using rapid fire computers is more volatility and loss of confidence in the markets.

I propose a speed limit to the markets for the sake of preserving investor faith.

Any true investor, and any true participant that has a idea behind his decision will not need to get in and out of the market in milliseconds. Anyone looking to profit from micro pennies is not contributing anything positive, which is different from making the spread.

Does the spy really need to be traded every millisecond, can a firm that buys 1,000 spy turn around and sell it 5 seconds later after having detected an order flow imbalance, with offers stacking up against the bids, but then using sniffing techniques to see that the offers were indeed fake from other computers and then buys more spy.

The markets are a place where people can battle on their ideas, not battle each other on speed and technology scrimping pennies here and there while others try to participate in the auctioning process.

Nothing in the transactions mentioned above are the larger ideas of where the economy is headed or the health of stocks being represented as those decisions are devoid of such considerations.

Its a fast paced game of musical chairs.

Hence there is no added value in my opinion and again I reiterate that a speed limit be enforced on trade execution.

A person who will add value to the market by putting his money where his mouth will not need to trade in ms.

I am not alone in this thinking as well,

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...requency-trading/story-e6frg916-1226656516550

This is just one article, you can visit zero hedge which is very anti-hft and has devoted lots of time and energy to building a case against them being in the market.

Again I also understand this is a quant board, people who want to engage in these type of activities so I know I will not garner any agreement. But that is not my purpose, but to educate those participants to let them know, that the voices of those who oppose what you do, is growing and your industry faces threat and you are hard pressed to defend yourself against logical arguments that others can make much better than I.

I am pretty confident that in a few years we will see more regulation, hopefully restoring faith in the market.

Really good piece on HFT's using information released early creating an unfair advantage. Released today. More so that paying customers who get access to low latency data are able to take positions before market moving information is released to the public. Creating an unfair advantage.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100809395

I can even argue that 200 ms of time advantage is akin to insider trading, in the technical sense, just because you can pay for this information doesnt make it legal.

Insider trading, is the possessing and execution of trades mainly by having significant information before others, so insider trading is a variable defined by time. Today this particular piece of information may be insider information but not tomorrow. In the same concept now you need to talk about seconds, if you can execute trades 2 minutes before I can based on information that not everyone has then that is insider trading as well. Again just because you can pay for it doesnt make it legal or fair. Like the common HFT argument, "well you can buy co-located servers too just like us"

I think investment professionals should start a lobbying group to put more restrictions on these short term millisecond traders. Something I might actually consider, starting a group on facebook and getting a petition signed and send it to my local congressman. I just don't like the impunity such traders have which destroy the markets.

Some other good recent articles

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-11/hft-stock-manipulation-action

http://www.nanex.net/FlashCrash/OngoingResearch.html

The more people can be educated the more we can pressure the legal authorities to change this.

Had a silly thought, maybe reaching out the anonymous group that is famous for its exploits, that would be interesting to see how they can hack the hfts and make them crumble, lol what a day that would be

No need for Government regulation, the market will take care of HFT by itself:

http://www.businessweek.com/article...ts-lost-high-frequency-tradings-rise-and-fall

Interesting article, thanks.

Perhaps the market will take care of hft, and not all regulation is good regulation so perhaps it can be argued for letting hft die out on its own, however you have to then debate at what point can you consider it in fact dead and no longer hurting the market and is it worth letting hft stick around until that defined date or metric comes around.

HFT will never die and you don't want it to die either. It will change and take another shape and that's a good thing.

HFT will never die and you don't want it to die either. It will change and take another shape and that's a good thing.

Well even the Romans once thought that about their great empire, nothing is ever static. Just like it was argued that slower traders should adapt to new technology, now new technology needs to adapt to more regulation to ensure less manipulation.

But to address something else, would you say that the liquidity and the tightening of the spread is one benefit that justifies their other negative effects like manipulation?

Is the liquidity and tighter spread worth the many problems hft cause?

I think Id rather take a slightly wider spread to banish micro-second trading

Back