• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

FAANG to Quant Research Possible?

Education: Ive league (STEM) undergrad, Ivy league (Computer Science) masters. Solid grades but not "the smartest guy on Earth" either i.e. no math competitions etc.
Work experience: ~8 years as a Data Engineer at FAANG.
Coding: Python only, can LeetCode medium's well.

I did have some firms reach out e.g. Marshall Wace etc for roles when I was in London, but I wanted to move to the US at the time, and had the opportunity through my FAANG to.

I get my green card in the next 6-9 months. I am considering a career in quant research or continue as a Data/Software Engineer, just in the quant space.

I came across "thequantguide" and was tempted to sign up and start preparing, but I can't really find good reviews about it.

Others have told me to just double down on LC and get into the Software Eng career path (as Data Engineering falls under this in many companies like Netflix, Airbnb etc and pay just as well) instead.

Not sure what is best.

A career pivot and require multiple steps. FAANG data engineer -> HF data engineer -> HF quant dev -> ?. You have to prove yourself along the way.

Definitely possible, and I'd highly recommend The Quant Guide program. I went through it last year myself. They helped change my resume to be strong enough to get interviews and the video content and question bank is very helpful. I'm a QR now so speaks for itself (but be prepared to work hard).

Definitely possible, and I'd highly recommend The Quant Guide program. I went through it last year myself. They helped change my resume to be strong enough to get interviews and the video content and question bank is very helpful. I'm a QR now so speaks for itself (but be prepared to work hard).
hey, can I pm you?

Hi. Can we have a quick chat regarding your experience? I was planning to take the same route.

Back