• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Switch from HR to Quant Research/Other Career ...Please Help!

Over some time I've developed an interest in data science and programming and now I'm aiming to make a switch to a Quant Research role.
Some research online showed that employers pick candidates from strong mathematical backgrounds. Would I stand a chance if I pursue an MBA in Quant Finance? My undergrad was in business administration and my master's in HRM.
Is it impractical thought transition to a finance background without having a prior math/finance background? If yes, what are the other career choices I can lean towards that is as good as Quant?

Yes, it is incredibly impractical.

As for other options, that depends on your interests and skills. You aren't prepared for anything remotely quantitative. You can still try, it'll just take a couple years to meet the bare minimum pre-reqs for decent programs on top of full time work and you'll probably still not end up where you wanted. You still won't have the mathematical maturity to really know what it is you should be doing.

Are you specifically interested in quant finance or just a more quantitative job? Because there are more jobs using data science, statistics, and applied math outside of quant finance.

It's important to have a clear idea of what you're interested in doing and why. I recommend exploring this through videos and books.

Back