• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

For an undergrad, what kind of internships or jobs would best prepare one to be a quant?

For an undergrad, what kind of internships or jobs would best prepare one to be a quant?
Corporate Finance? IT? Asset Management? Actuary? PE?

I think some sorts of actuarial roles may help prepare for quantitative roles later (particularly in risk management) but corp finance and PE have nothing to do with quant stuff. IT and asset management definitely are relevant.

That being said, any internship is good and demonstrates an actual interest in finance, which is good.

Would an internal Finance internship for a Mortgage Firm be a good idea? What I would be doing if I accept the offer is simply updating their Excel models that go over the P&L of the firm... I'm not sure if I should spend my summer on this, or a research project on Options Pricing. Any advice would be great!

I have passed several actuarial exams and got interns, but my experience tells me that it doesn't help me to get a job in the finance field. A friend, who has got a similar actuarial background, went to the info session of a quant program in a top investment banking and show her resume to the recruiter. The recruiter simply said we don't need an actuary and showed no interest in her any more.

Back