foreigner in UK seeking a job

Hello,

I just graduated from University and wonder if i could find a job as a quant.
I am from Poland and studied physics. As a matter of fact such an ocuppation doesn't exist in Poland so I consider looking for a job in UK. I would be very grateful to be given advice on whether or not it's possible for me to become a quant. I've read through the forum and didn't find thread that fits my case as I am a foreigner from central Europe and obtained my master degree in my country so really count on your opinions.

As for my qualifications :

I've read Eckel's "Thinking in C++" and find myself quite familiar with that language. I used to program a lot during studies yet have never had many occasions to use advanced tools(design patterns, concurrency and so on). I know a bit about some other languages and technologies as well.

I've gained lots of experience in implementing numerical algorithms as molecular dynamics, genetic algorithms, methods of solving differential equations and so on.

I'm fond of theoretical physics. Working on my thesis involved advanced analytical calculations and numerical implementations and I hope to get the results of my work published in a certain magazine on physics.

At last but not least I'd like to mention I can easily learn a lot in a short time.

so that's what I can offer to employer. What do you think? Is there any chance I can get a job as a quant?

thanks in advance
lukasz

BTW, "Thinking in C++" is not enough to master C++, you need much experience as well. If it was other programming language, you'd probably need less but C++ is quite tough for just one book. How about some additional information like educational background - GPA?

At last but not least I'd like to mention I can easily learn a lot in a short time.
This is not to be proud of...

In short, you call yourself as a "fast learner". This reminds me of an article posted here about how that's viewed by one tech recruiter at Amazon
http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/09/ten-tips-for-slightly-less-awful-resume.html
so that's what I can offer to employer. What do you think? Is there any chance I can get a job as a quant?
First, anyone can call himself a "quant" these days so you may want to have a clear picture of each job title entails.
Take a look at some sample job postings on QFJ, quantster, so on. Be aware some many of those postings may not be real. This would give you a good idea of the technical requirements, education requirements, so on.
You should use your network (anyone you know) to find an opportunity. Recruiters aren't keen to work with entry-level candidates.

Eckel's book is one that I often suggest for their first C++, so it is nothing to ashamed of, but it is a first book on C++
Also of course C++ is something you do, rather than something you know, so lukaszz needs to write some more code, it not clear if his coding has been in C++

Sounds like he's done a good % of the maths.

One question is where you are currently living ?

thanks for replies!

"Thinking in C++" is not enough to master C++, you need much experience as well.
Also of course C++ is something you do, rather than something you know
I'm quite aware that reading books on programming by no means makes me a good programmer. A great deal of experience and lots of hours of working on code these are what make you a good programmer, isn't it ? However as I've written I lack experience.

"Fast learner" — definitely another bad one. Doubly so, because it combines desperation with ignorance; you wouldn't need to call it out if you could demonstrate something concrete that you've already learned. If you have some true demonstration that you're a fast learner, such as entering college at age 14, then sure, call it out. But the phrase "fast learner" is a fast track to the Big Resume Bin in the Sky
- excerpt from http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/09/ten-tips-for-slightly-less-awful-resume.html
I've been told many times and find it pretty obvious that ability to learn new things and develop skills is of great importance in IT industry. And I believe I can learn new things quite fast.
glad to know such a statement is seen by some recruiters as having no achievements.

Sounds like he's done a good % of the maths.
I like maths and find myself good at it. What does the interview look like? Are there any tests for candidate so he can prove himself good at maths and programming?

One question is where you are currently living ?
I'm currently living in Poland but consider moving to UK in search of job as a quant or programmer(game programming most likely)

If you programmed your numerical algorithms in C++, that's a big plus and you can cite it, perhaps go into a bit of detail. Scientific programming in languages like C++, R, Python, and MatLab has meaning. The other plus you have is you don't need a visa for the UK

Back