• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Forging a career path with little mathematical education during undergrad & postgrad

Hi all ,

I'm a graduate and post graduate in Computer Science , with an absolutely introductory exposure to Calculus , Algebra during my education and next to no application of any mathematical learning during my software engineering career that spans 3 years as of now .

I wished to forge a career in the field of derivative / quant trading , and aspire to chose an appropriate course of study for the same . I'd like to know if a PhD in applied stats would be a decent way to crack such a career , or whether there are any other graduate programs [ like a Mathematics in Finance ] that can help me out .

Almost 5 years from the date of taking my last mathematical course during my post grad [equivalent of M.S] , I'm a bit too rusty [ being modest here ] with my maths skills .

I'd like to know if there's something that might suit my need .

Other info :

Grad GPA : 3.8/4.0

A decent computer science degree includes at least calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and probability & statistics at bare minimum. Many people take much more, such as advanced combinatorics, machine learning, differential equations, etc. Did you not take those classes?

1) Do not do a PhD for the purpose of getting a job in industry. That's what MS degrees are for. [I cringe at how many times I've said that on this forum]

2) A Math Finance degree may help, but if your math skills are rusty you will need to catch up first. There are classes online that can help you do that. Look at each Masters program's academic requirements to see what you are missing.

Back