• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Forward Contract on Zero-Coupon Bond

Hi all, new member here. Long time lurker however :P

I'm currently studying the Financial Engineering & Risk Management course by Columbia University on Coursera. I'm seriously stuck on the second question of the week 5 quiz. I have built an n=10 period binomial model, and we know that r=5%, u=1.1, d=0.9 and q=1-q=1/2. On question 1, I computed the price of a zero-coupon bond that matures at t=10 to be $61.62. Question 2 asks to compute the price of a forward contract on the same bond that matures at t=4. I have seriously tried everything I could think of for the last 3 days and it's still the only question from the whole quiz that I can't come up with an answer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Since d < 1+r < u, your binomial model is arbitrage free. Computing the price of the forward is thus reduced to finding a replicating portfolio comprised of some number of units of the underlying zero-coupon bond and some number of units of the money market account, and then finding the price of this portfolio. The construction should parallel the one given in Shreve 1 (or any intro book on pricing in discrete time) for European options, only now your underlying is a bond not a stock and your derivative is a forward not an option.

Back