• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

From PhD in combustion engineering to Finance

sgs

Hello,

I'm 25 and I hold a BSc and MSc in Aerospace Engineering and I am currently pursuing a PhD in numerical combustion. I am very interested in quant finance world, especially in quantitative research. I have a solid background in algebra, calculus and stochastic modelling (my PhD thesis involves stochastic modelling), as well as good programmming skills in C++, Python and MATLAB.
I know these skills are really useful in quant finance, but I don't think I can just knock on the door of any finance firm with those without ever attending an economics class...

For now I work full time in my PhD thesis and I can't move from where I live, but I would love to start learning seriously and getting into the quant finance world. I would like to do a MSc or some program like that, but most of them are full time and not online. I have seen there are some certifications like CFA or CQF, but I'm not sure If these are the correct fit for my profile and career aspirations.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Edit: (Just in case it affects your advice, I do not live in the US, and I am not a US citizen)

You can't stay in school forever. You have a BS, MS, and soon a PhD, now are thinking about another MS?

Sounds like you have taken some rigorous courses. Brush up on your interview coding, grab a quant prep book, and start networking. Maybe try to squeeze in a summer for interning and take a break from your thesis. If you can't land a quant position with a PhD in numerical combustion, you can't land one with a PhD in numerical combusting and an MFE. If QR is your interest, a CFA/CQF would be a waste of time/money. Good luck!

You can't stay in school forever. You have a BS, MS, and soon a PhD, now are thinking about another MS?

Sounds like you have taken some rigorous courses. Brush up on your interview coding, grab a quant prep book, and start networking. Maybe try to squeeze in a summer for interning and take a break from your thesis. If you can't land a quant position with a PhD in numerical combustion, you can't land one with a PhD in numerical combusting and an MFE. If QR is your interest, a CFA/CQF would be a waste of time/money. Good luck!
Thanks for the answer.

Well, I already have started reading a couple of books about Quant Finance (nothing very specific). My concern was about landing in a quant position without any official certification/course or something. I though an MFE or some official degree is always a "sine qua non" condition for getting into quant world, but I guess I will keep learning about it.

Hi Guys, I am thrilled to undertake this course, I am hoping to get into a MFE program by next year. Just putting things in place to get to my goal

Back