• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Game of Thrones

Anyone been following the HBO series Game of Thrones? I've been so impressed I bought a plastic sword for myself, which I've been practicing with. I know you've got to stab people with the pointy end.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I start a new thread on the forum?

I looked for 2 minutes and I still don't see how.

I love this stuff as well but I found Merlin a tad boring.

Merlin was produced on a shoestring budget. Game of Thrones' first ten episodes cost between $50m and $60m. There are several big-name English actors in it (Sean Bean, Charles Dance, Lena Headey). The filming was done in Iceland, Ireland, Croatia, and Malta.

I am a huge fan of GoT, watched the whole 2 seasons over the weekend. It is a bad addiction if anyone is trying to study. Walking dead is another brilliant show!
Again not recommended if you are studying

I am a huge fan of GoT, watched the whole 2 seasons over the weekend.

It's meant to be savored -- maybe an episode every two days. That way the two seasons would last six weeks. I am 250 pages into the first volume, Game of Thrones, which will be followed by Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, and Dance with Dragons. I've also ordered three books of essays on GoT. These books are meant to be read slowly and savored. Season 2 will be out in DVD in March of 2013 (i.e., the legal copies, not the Region 5 bootleg) so I will have to wait for it. I'm still practicing with my plastic sword and maybe I can eventually find employment as a sellsword.

I recommend Spartacus. I started Game of Thrones simply because the Spartacus season was over.

I really love both seasons of Game of Thrones by HBO but to enjoy this show you have to read the books first (just my 2 cents :) ). I had to admit that all actors are an exellent fit for their book prototypes (especially Tyrion and Daenerys) and that show going step by step after Martin script but unfortunately HBO budget could not afford such things as a battle scenes and multiple story tweaks that you can find in Martin's book. I just hope when HBO will be done with book 5 Martin will finish book 6 and 7 and we do not have to wait for another 7 years for the next book to see the light :) but I really really doubt it :)

for people who like Martin I would recommend to try Joe Abercrombie - the First Law trilogy (just outstanding imho), Glen Cook - Black Company series and Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Tyrion is one of the three central characters in the series (the other two are Jon Snow and Arya Stark). Not sure how long GRRM has to live and if each volume is taking five or six years, we may not see Vol.6. Winter is coming. On vacation in Ecuador at the moment so I had to leave my plastic sword behind (Homeland Security gives me enough hassle as it is).

Finished ´A Game of Thrones´(the book) and have now started the sequel, ´A Clash of Kings.´Author does a sterling job of describing the struggle for positional advantage on the chessboard of Westeros among such patient and careful players as Tywin Lannister and Stannis Baratheon. Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, and Jaime Lannister are chumps in comparison.

Game of Thrones as Theory, in Foreign Affairs.

To be sure, life in Westeros is poor, nasty, brutish and short, and Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series and David Benioff and D.B. Weiss' television program are laced with Hobbesian metaphors, Machiavellian intrigues, and Carr-like calculations of power. But the deeper message is that realism alone is unsatisfying and unsuccessful -- that leaders disregard ethical norms, the needs of their small-folk, and the natural world at their own peril. Jockeying for power by self-interested actors produces not a stable balance but suboptimal chaos; gamesmanship and the pursuit of short-term objectives distracts players from the truly pressing issues of human survival and stability.

Back