• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

General Meetup in NYC?

GoIllini

Market Crises= Gray Hair
Anyone interested in having a meetup for everyone on the forums in NYC?

My coworkers and I tend to like Emmett O'Lunney's Irish Pub (Formerly Harmony View) in midtown- 50th Street between Broadway and 8th. It has a nice atmosphere more conducive to talking and the drinks are good and reasonably priced. Maybe we could meet there on a Thursday (or maybe Friday) in early December.

Please post if you'd be interested and what might be good times and/or suggest other locations.

Generally any Friday is good for me whenever I'm at school here in Rutgers, since I have all Fridays off. However, a round trip on NJT alone costs $21.00, so I'd need an ulterior reason to come up to NYC for which I could get reimbursed for travel expenses.

Generally any Friday is good for me whenever I'm at school here in Rutgers, since I have all Fridays off. However, a round trip on NJT alone costs $21.00, so I'd need an ulterior reason to come up to NYC for which I could get reimbursed for travel expenses.
I'd be willing to buy you your first drink, but I can't come up with the remaining $14-15 for you. I take it you're at the New Brunswick Campus? If you're in Newark, there's always the PATH train.

Yeah. No stats in Newark. So I'm at NB. Don't worry, it's not like I'm asking for payments, it's just a statement of fact. Heck, if I had a full day in terms of meeting quant firms and whatnot, I'd foot the bill myself. It's just that even with a relatively full schedule last time I was at NYC, I still was waiting around four and a half hours at one point between events.

Are you sure this pub isn't one of those places where noise to signal ratio is very high? Maybe we should look for a lounge, instead of a pub.
It can be loud sometimes, but they're not playing loud music like most places do. You can carry on conversations in small groups, but you'd have to shout across a table larger than three or four.

Maybe the Campbell Apartment at Grand Central would be better? That's generally a pretty quiet place, if a little highbrow and older for some peoples' tastes. I think drinks aren't overly expensive by NYC standards, but it's been a while since I was there.

Certainly interested. Early december is filling in fast though, with all the holiday parties. I second the grand central location.

Let's setup at time and do this

I am calling Friday Dec the 6th 5PM lower Manhattan,
there is Starbucks at 80 Pine St, couple of blocks down it's nice quite, bar,
forget what its called.
If you are a Student, and you are concerned about drink prices, I got the first 2 rounds,
which is how long I am going to stay for.

forget what its called.
If you are a Student, and you are concerned about drink prices, I got the first 2 rounds,
Can we move the time back to, say, 6 PM or better yet, 6:30? I work in midtown where a lot of the banks are, and if anyone else works up there, it will be difficult to get there on time unless we can teleport from work at 5 PM.

Can we move the time back to, say, 6 PM or better yet, 6:30? I work in midtown where a lot of the banks are, and if anyone else works up there, it will be difficult to get there on time unless we can teleport from work at 5 PM.

Makes sense. I will try to show up around 7:30-8:00PM. It would be easier to choose a bar/lounge since people show up at different times ...

forget what its called.
Patrick,

Can you give us the exact name of the bar and its address? We probably need to get the address out by tomorrow night.

I have not heard back from Patrick about the exact location of the bar. It sounds like we'll probably have something on the order of 5-10 people coming, including potentially a few college students, so the weighting seems to be more towards less expensive than easier to talk across a big table.

Emmett O'Lunney's Irish Pub
50th Street between Broadway and 8th
6:45 PM, Friday Dec. 4th
The two closest subway stops are the NRW and the 1 trains to 50th street.
Emmett O'Lunney's is on the south side of the street right near Subway. Some people may remember it as "Harmony View" if they worked in Midtown before the name was changed last year.

The name sounds too ridiculous to be Irish, but it's the owner's legitimate name. It can sometimes be a little noisy, but it's casual, the drinks are reasonably priced by NYC standards, and nobody will look at anyone funny if they show up in either a T-shirt and jeans or a suit.

Please PM me if you are coming. I will reply with my cell phone number so you can find us.

If you're a student (and 21), your first two drinks are on me.

All right. I'll be showing up around 6:45. I have red hair and am wearing a sky blue shirt and a dark blue tie. I will probably be in the back. I may be with a south Indian lady from work with long dark hair wearing a tan brown-striped jacket.

Please send me or Andy a PM if you plan on coming.

Sorry I couldn't make it this time. I left the office after 9PM.
I will try to be there at the next one ...

Back