• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Georgia State: MQRF curriculum review request.

Hello, I am a senior and was wondering if I could get some opinions on the curriculum of this program.
1. Master of Quantitative risk analysis and management Curriculum - Master's in Quantitative Risk Analysis and Management - J. Mack Robinson College of Business
Include courses such as financial econometrics, financial engineering, interest rate models, and 1 elective.
2.Masters in mathematical risk management and analysis (The one I am leaning towards): Dual Degree Programs - Master's in Quantitative Risk Analysis and Management - J. Mack Robinson College of Business
Includes: Data programming and management for analytics, valuation of financial assets, econometric modeling for analytics stochastic interest rate and credit model, advanced credit risk models, deep learning analytics and 4 electives.
- This program is a dual master with ms in quantitative risk management and analytics.
- Georgia state is mid-ranking. I know the prestige of school matters, but, due to the cost and location, this program and Georgia Tech's QCF are the two programs that I can really attend.
My worry is that both of the programs are not as mathematically heavy as I would like it (I am a math major). I just want to know your opinion on a mid-tier program like this. Thank you!

I think the price of the program is something that needs to be seriously considered as more seasoned quants have repeatedly said on here that the job is being commoditized and thus pay is not what it once was. I assume you are a Georgia resident and that makes a huge price difference. Also, I've looked at the GT program and you get 3 free electives that you could use to enroll in the same classes as the MS/PhD math students take. I am biased as I did my undergrad at GT, but between them and state its no contest with reputation and rigor.

I think the price of the program is something that needs to be seriously considered as more seasoned quants have repeatedly said on here that the job is being commoditized and thus pay is not what it once was. I assume you are a Georgia resident and that makes a huge price difference. Also, I've looked at the GT program and you get 3 free electives that you could use to enroll in the same classes as the MS/PhD math students take. I am biased as I did my undergrad at GT, but between them and state its no contest with reputation and rigor.
Thank you for your response, Archidamus. I did not know you get 3 free electives for the GT program. As you said, I do agree with GT being far more rigorous than GSU. It seems that GT's QCF program is the way to go.

Back