• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Georgia Tech QCF vs Boston University Mathematical Finance

Yes, I am a recent grad form the program (just finished coursework last month).

The program has a decent reputation in the industry but your prior experiences, networking matter a lot (in fact this is the maker or breaker when it comes to placement)
I would not go as far as to say that is a maker or breaker, but prior experience and networking means a great deal

If possible , can you please throw some light on how effective the career service at BU is?
On the good side, the program director will make anything to get you placed if you go to his office and ask. Once I came to his office about a job posting I found online that I wanted, he made a phone call and got me the interview (I tried this one second time, but did not get as lucky). However, there is not a lot of active recruiting from companies on campus, so the career fair is not great. Getting an internship I would say it is harder than getting a job. Again, I might be biased in my view on this matter since I was a student that already had very relevant work experience.

Proximity to a financial city is great for networking. But to be honest, most of the times I preferred to do informational interviewing over the phone to not cast too much of a nuisance in the interviewee.

I have to add, I did have at the first semester doubts about the program. If you go deep enough into my postings at QuantNet, you will see that during my first semester at BU I applied to Columbia MA in Stats and got admitted. I decided to stay at BU and I do not regret my decision. I had great experiences with professors. For instance, I would be multiple times over 30 min with a professor in his office to discuss a project. One professor, Andrew Lyassoff, sometimes would give extra lectures to review some of the content during Fridays and Saturdays if he felt the students were not following the lectures (yes, his course is very very hard). Of course, there are many points in which the program could be better, but be sure that it will only be as good as the dedication you put into it.

I would be happy to answer any private messages for any question.

Yes, I am a recent grad form the program (just finished coursework last month).

I would not go as far as to say that is a maker or breaker, but prior experience and networking means a great deal

On the good side, the program director will make anything to get you placed if you go to his office and ask. Once I came to his office about a job posting I found online that I wanted, he made a phone call and got me the interview (I tried this one second time, but did not get as lucky). However, there is not a lot of active recruiting from companies on campus, so the career fair is not great. Getting an internship I would say it is harder than getting a job. Again, I might be biased in my view on this matter since I was a student that already had very relevant work experience.

Proximity to a financial city is great for networking. But to be honest, most of the times I preferred to do informational interviewing over the phone to not cast too much of a nuisance in the interviewee.

I have to add, I did have at the first semester doubts about the program. If you go deep enough into my postings at QuantNet, you will see that during my first semester at BU I applied to Columbia MA in Stats and got admitted. I decided to stay at BU and I do not regret my decision. I had great experiences with professors. For instance, I would be multiple times over 30 min with a professor in his office to discuss a project. One professor, Andrew Lyassoff, sometimes would give extra lectures to review some of the content during Fridays and Saturdays if he felt the students were not following the lectures (yes, his course is very very hard). Of course, there are many points in which the program could be better, but be sure that it will only be as good as the dedication you put into it.

I would be happy to answer any private messages for any question.

Thanks a lot diego ..This information is precious .. Thanks again . ATB for 2015

Hey Seniors ,
I got the mail from Boston Mathematical Finance Adcom saying you have been put under waitlist for fall 2015 Round1 application. They said that final verdict will be out anytime before but not later than July.
So seniors please help :| what is the probability of an acceptance in such scenarios or this is an apparent "Reject" .
Do I need to wait almost till half of this year or post round2 deadline another round of decisions will be rolled out?
(PS:Boston Mathematical Finance is my first priority-fingers crossed )

Also, as a counter argument to this, more often an angry customer writes a bad review on a product than a satisfied customer writes a good one.

You are way off there, because an MFE is not a product.

For example, no one worries about consequences or retaliation from writing a bad product review.

Also, doing an MFE can have a huge impact on your future (positive or negative). People are not going to be comfortable coming out and saying how much damage an MFE did to their life.

Last edited:
How is the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign's MS -Financial Engineering as compared to Boston University's MS- Mathematical Finance and Georgia Tech's Quantitative and Computational Finance?

Although I agree with the premise that if admitted to a top 7 program you should go there, I would not rank BU as a bad program. I also took part of the 2014 class (just graduated), and I could say that I learned a lot, had a great time and did not cheat.

Although I decided to come back to my own country to work, I did have an offer to work in risk management in a major company in Boston but declined to join. Also, many friends (including international ones) have great offers in the US. I'd say the only waste of money is coming here and then cheat in homework and exams. People often forget that what you are paying for is education.

Also, as a counter argument to this, more often an angry customer writes a bad review on a product than a satisfied customer writes a good one.
like your opinion. how would you compare between BU and UIUC?

Hi,

I got an admit from both Georgia Tech and Boston University. I also got an 18k Scholarship from BU. I need help in evaluating the two Universities. GaTech is better ranked than BU and also the program director is taking a lot of effort in making the program better ( is what I've heard) whereas BU has the advantage of being in Boston(financial city). I want a course which is more focused to the Math and Finance aspect of the course and not very technical. I've heard that the finance oriented courses is not Gatech's strong point. I would really appreciate if you guys could weigh in the pros and cons and help me in taking a informed decision. Thanks.
I am in similar situation right now. What did you choose and how did you make your choice?

Back