• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Georgia Tech QCF

I am not sure was for what to join. Can't decide. Georgia Tech has great ROI, while Columbia has location advantage (NY). Also, I am very hopeful for UCB. I am definitely choosing UCB over others.

Given that you have no problem in paying for the program, i think you should consider definitely Columbia. Even if you consider GATech, i don't think it will be a big disadvantage with the quality work ex you have. You'll end up paying half or may be even less of what you'll be spending at Columbia.

I have been talking to a lot of Columbia MFE alumni, no one has given me a good review. So I am really confused now lol.

I am actually thinking if I get NYU admit, probably should ditch all these and go with NYU. Except Java as programming language and placements, no bad reviews from any alumni. I already code in C++ and placements is something I might be able to get by myself. But honestly, all so confusing. GATECH presently > Columbia. Hadn't imagined that 2 months back!

@Geekynoob What kind of bad reviews did you get for the Columbia MFE program? Could you share those with us?

1. Lack of team tasks/ study groups. I believe that makes you more materialistic and the whole experience less fun.

2. Subjects being very theoretical. Lacking practicality.

3. Placement cell service is not good. They don't prepare students for jobs, which Baruch, CMU do a lot.

4. Competition from MSOR and MFin.

5. Particularly for me, they said don't do MFE, you would learn nothing new, perhaps do data science or computer science. If your only goal is to move to US, choose GATECH as the ROI is much better. No point spending a total of $120K on education.

P.S. none of these are my views.

1. Lack of team tasks/ study groups. I believe that makes you more materialistic and the whole experience less fun.

2. Subjects being very theoretical. Lacking practicality.

3. Placement cell service is not good. They don't prepare students for jobs, which Baruch, CMU do a lot.

4. Competition from MSOR and MFin.

5. Particularly for me, they said don't do MFE, you would learn nothing new, perhaps do data science or computer science. If your only goal is to move to US, choose GATECH as the ROI is much better. No point spending a total of $120K on education.

P.S. none of these are my views.

1. Completely dependent on you and your choice of courses to make your experience more collaborative and fun.

2. Again, variety of very applied courses available if you are smart enough not to be swayed by the waves.

3. Not really sure of what exactly is expected of a great placement cell. Cant comment on Baruch as Ive never met a baruch mfe graduate. CMU’s program is a pretty strong hand and well known with great alumni network which I do think Columbia Mfe lacks.

4. This in my opinion, is hilarious to say the least and smells of sour grapes.

5. Might be true, might not be. If looking for more variety, in fact MSOR could be a good choice. The point being that the columbia brand, however idiotic it sounds, cannot be discounted, especially in NYC.

1. Completely dependent on you and your choice of courses to make your experience more collaborative and fun.

2. Again, variety of very applied courses available if you are smart enough not to be swayed by the waves.

3. Not really sure of what exactly is expected of a great placement cell. Cant comment on Baruch as Ive never met a baruch mfe graduate. CMU’s program is a pretty strong hand and well known with great alumni network which I do think Columbia Mfe lacks.

4. This in my opinion, is hilarious to say the least and smells of sour grapes.

5. Might be true, might not be. If looking for more variety, in fact MSOR could be a good choice. The point being that the columbia brand, however idiotic it sounds, cannot be discounted, especially in NYC.
Thanks for the review.

I need your take on this: how much sense does it make to join Columbia MFE if I have been a quant in a bank for 4 years and a HFT trader for < 1 year.
1. Worth 110,000$?
2. Take a cheaper course like Gatech
3. Don't take any MFE course, just do your job.

The tuition comes out to be 70k$. The cost of living is 40k$ for 18 months??!!!Can you explain this.
Given that you do a 3 month internship in the summer and get a TA position under a professor or manage some part time job (grader etc.) , won't the costs significantly come down??
Thoughts people?

I meant 110K for Columbia, saw it on their website. This was raw cost, excluding internship

Yes that's the min cost one ends up spending there and students find it difficult to get well paid internships even from Columbia. One of my friend bagged a front office role at UBS but didn't get a paid internship. Till now as per the information given to me very few students got good internships till march and most of them are still searching. Yes you can definitely go for TA's but most of the students utilize their time to build good networks with industry people.

I have been speaking to a few students at Columbia and they spoke highly of GA Tech QCF. Placements are all about networking, work-ex and luck is their opinion. It also depends on whether you cherish that brand name.
One of the alum mentioned that the program is very heavy on math and coding and not all enjoyed it.

The tuition comes out to be 70k$. The cost of living is 40k$ for 18 months??!!!Can you explain this.
Given that you do a 3 month internship in the summer and get a TA position under a professor or manage some part time job (grader etc.) , won't the costs significantly come down??
Thoughts people?
Also please don't go by Quantnet fees that is misleading, these programs have other costs as well.

Regarding the Cost of attendance, i think people take-up on campus jobs which will greatly reduce the cost (living) that needs to be paid out of pocket.
IMO you should also consider the 3 month internship and the salary you'll be paid for that.

Back